Adding Belgian Candy to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewScout

Reaction score
I dont have any corn sugar or dextrose and was gonna make some homemade Belgian candy to add to primary. Brew has been in primary for 4 days and I was wondering if it would be fine to add candy now, and if so how much to make up for 0.007 points ( I came in short on OG. This was my first partial mash).Would it be best to make dark candy or light. It is the AHS Honey Hibiscus Wit http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12511
Thanks in advance for your help!

You can just use plain table sugar. Just boil it up in a little water, cool and dump into the fermenter.

Depends on the size of your batch. Table sugar yields 46 PPG(points per pound per gallon). So if you had a 5 gallon batch, 1 lb of table sugar would add .0092 points. So .76 lbs will add .007 points to a 5 gallon batch.

Sorry for the barrage of questions but, how much water to add if adding .75 lbs if table sugar to a 5 gallon batch?

I'd add just enough water so that the sugar dissolves completely, but not so little that the mixture is really thick and you have to worry about scorching it. I'd think that 2 cups would be enough. If you real want to be accurate with your gravity point addition, then you should add .78 lbs sugar with 2 cups of water to add .007 points.

sugar to add = .007 * (5 gallon + .125 (2 cups))/.046 = .78lbs

Go math!

I had to do the same a few months ago. I used table sugar and a pinch of cream of tarter, to make the candi sugar. Use a candi thermometer to watch the temps so it stays a syrup when its cooled. Be careful though when I added mine the yeast went ape crazy clogged the vent, popped the top.

Back