What's wrong with (the concept of) dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outside92129

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was at a small up-and-coming brewery in North San Diego county and overheard the brewmaster/staff deriding Stone's Ruination because it was dry hopped. I wasn't able to chase them down to find out their reasoning for the criticism, is dry hopping looked down upon within the pro circles? Are they just jealous? I do like Ruination over their IPA though : )

Maybe its a west coast thing? Over here on the East Coast, dry hopping is viewed much better.

No clue what beef he had with Ruination, unless of course it was too hoppy for him. I know of more than a few breweries that advertise their IPAs/APAs to be dry hopped.

Heck, Schlafly even named their APA "Dry Hopped APA."

Whoa, Hey outside, which brewery are you talking about. No brewery in SD looks down upon dryhopping, hell they embrace it. I dunno what his problem was. But west coasters love their hops

Nothing dumber than making fun of your competition in front of customers. Especially when the competition is a powerhouse brewery. Almost every west coast brewery I've seen has dry hopped beers on the schedule.

possible you didn't hear the entire conversation?

it would be far more common for someone to be chastised for NOT dry hopping an IPA, esp on the west coast

Aside from possibly Lost Abbey I would almost guarantee which ever brewery you are referring to has at least 1 if not several beers that are dry hopped

possible you didn't hear the entire conversation?

it would be far more common for someone to be chastised for NOT dry hopping an IPA, esp on the west coast

Aside from possibly Lost Abbey I would almost guarantee which ever brewery you are referring to has at least 1 if not several beers that are dry hopped

lost abbey has dry hopped beers as well...considering lost abbey and port brewing is the exact same thing.

as for talking about ruination, maybe they were talking about the double dry hopped version thats been around a lot lately. I can see where they might see it as overkill when you can get great aroma and it isnt as over the top with one dryhop addition

lost abbey has dry hopped beers as well...considering lost abbey and port brewing is the exact same thing.

as for talking about ruination, maybe they were talking about the double dry hopped version thats been around a lot lately. I can see where they might see it as overkill when you can get great aroma and it isnt as over the top with one dryhop addition

def was not including port - no question they dry hop

I'll go back and see if i can corner the brewer that made the comments. I don't want to say the name of the brewery especially since i might have missed the context of the conversation. It did seem really weird to both my buddy and i as we are in a center of extreme hoppiness, but we both heard the same thing.

I'll check it out and report back to ya'll. Twist my arm to go a brewery, life is hard sometimes.

I'll go back and see if i can corner the brewer that made the comments. I don't want to say the name of the brewery especially since i might have missed the context of the conversation. It did seem really weird to both my buddy and i as we are in a center of extreme hoppiness, but we both heard the same thing.

I'll check it out and report back to ya'll. Twist my arm to go a brewery, life is hard sometimes.

Is this a brewery that makes a lot of lagers?

dirty_martini- it could be that, they may have something against going big on hops. Strange to say that in SoCal but thinking back to what i had there and looking at their website - they're generally on the lighter side compared to some of the other breweries in the north county.

Well my original statement was mostly right. A buddy went back and confirmed it, they don't agree with making a pale ale the non-traditional way. Of course i don't see what's traditional about making a 100+ IBU beverage, but i'll still take the brewski.

the only brewers that dislike dry hopping, to my limited understanding, are continental european brewers. germans and belgians see fresh hop aroma as a flaw.

I came across a traditional cask-ale style microbrewery on the isle of Islay in Scotland; asked them if they'd ever experimented with dry-hopping. They then replied that it seemed like a fad brewers did a decade ago, but they tried it and didn't understand what it added - not even derisively, just entirely dismissive.

Shame really, but that attitude isn't too out of place over here in the UK.

Back