Oatmeal Stouts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maehassler

Reaction score
So I love stouts and I love oatmeal and I enjoyed Firestone-Walker's Velvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout but I was wondering what other Oatmeal Stouts to try or any recipe suggestions for a homebrew Oatmeal Stout!

this is what i am brewing this saturday. from www.windriverbrew.com

Barrons Oatmeal Stout An old style that is recently receiving more attention. We have gotten requests for an Oatmeal Stout for our kit lineup so here it is. The oats add body and mouth-feel to this beer. This is a smooth rich ale that is light on the hops to allow the full malty character to come through. The kit contains: 6 lbs. Dark malt extract, 1 oz. Kent Goldings bittering hops, 1/2 oz. Fuggles aroma hops, 1/2 lb. Black Patent & 1/2 lb. Flaked Oats grain blend, yeast and priming sugar.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[10 lbs] (0068)

$25.95
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With 1084 Irish Wyeast. [13 1/4 lbs] (0010Y)

$29.95

The classic example of the style is Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

Yep Sam Smith's is tastey. I enjoy Anderson Valley's Barney Flats OMS as well. I'm brewing a Sam Smith clone this weekend as well

Founder's Breakfast Stout and Bell's Double Cream Stout are two of my favorites! Not sure if they're exclusively 'oatmeal' or not, but if you like oatmeal, you'll like those.

I also have a brewers best extract kit of oatmeal stout bottle conditioning as we speak. I bottled it on Feb 1st, so i think i'm going to try one tonight.

New Holland "The Poet" is an oatmeal stout I enjoy. Also, not specifically a stout but Highland Oatmeal Porter is very good as well....

New Holland "The Poet" is an oatmeal stout I enjoy. Also, not specifically a stout but Highland Oatmeal Porter is very good as well....

Hey! Are you looking in my fridge! I have both of those waiting for me when I get home!!! both very very good!

Nothing tops Samuels Smith's IMO but I am drinking a clone of the Rogue Shakespeare right now (have not had original) and it's ridiculously good. Brew it! Delicious...

I recently made an OS that really exceeded my expectations. Check out my thread for "Rolled Oats Stout". Recipes there if you're interested.

I brew a lot of oatmeal stouts. Don't be afraid to increase your oat content. I use 4lbs is a ten G batch and this is far from too much. My trad recipe is 1/2lb patent, 1lb rb, and 1lb choc, plus 4lb oats and marris otter to reach 1.060. This is for 12G post boil (hot measurement). I've made this MANY times and it is a very easy drinking stout. Last time I upped the choc to 2lbs and the rb to 1.5lbs, with the patent the same. Everyting else the same, and it is still quite smooth and 'drinkable.' SN stout is still a notch above this, hops wise at least. I bring to 50ibu with magnum and do decent cascade late additions. No dry hop (but will try next round). 1056 wyeast. 100ppm Ca, split evenly from SO4 and Cl.

To make my point more clear, you can use a lot of oatmeal. 4-6lbs in a 10G batch will be guaranteed to give you that classic 'silky mouthfeel.' I use 2lbs of rice hulls in a 12G batch with simple mash braids and never stick this sparge....

Back