Digital temp gauge to MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
So my digital temp gauge died on me again when I put it in my mash to monitor the temps. It was never submersed but it freaked out somehow.

Sooooo, I want to add a permanent digital thermometer to my MLT but had some questions. Is it a good idea to drill a hole in the 10 gallon rubbermaid MLT I have? I don't want to make it lose any heat from having the thermo plugged into it.

Does it matter how long the temp probe is? I don't want to worry about hitting it with my mash paddle and breaking it. Also, does it matter if it is directly in the middle of the MLT or can it be lower and see have a correct reading?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good digital probe or should I go with the analog? I like the idea of having a quick temp reading.

I did it. You dont have to use that big a stopper. Just drill for the smallest size you can fine. I like it.

Why? Your plugging it with a rubber stopper that probably has as much insulation value as the original cooler wall. You could also do this on the lid if your worried about it but will need to get a longer probe.

I did it. You dont have to use that big a stopper. Just drill for the smallest size you can fine. I like it.

How long of a probe do you have? Did you just try and put in near the middle of the water amount you usually have in the tun? I know the temps will be a little different at the bottom compared to the top.

Why? Your plugging it with a rubber stopper that probably has as much insulation value as the original cooler wall. You could also do this on the lid if your worried about it but will need to get a longer probe.

Doubt the rubber stopper does but it just seems like a huge hole to put into the tun that wouldn't be permanent.

I would do it in the lid but like you said the probe would have to be really long and I don't know if I can get one that long. Maybe when I am doing 10 gallon batches but like I said before I want to be able to measure the temp right in the middle and not just barely at the top of the mash water.

What if you did it in the lid with one of those corded thermometers and do what I did with my lid drill a small hole on the top side and spray some "Great Stuff" (Insulation in a can) in the lid. That should work

Don't want to mess with the corded thermometers anymore because of them not being water proof and having to deal with that. I have seen the Bobby post on how to fix that but don't want to go that route.

Have you personally done this?

Yep:

IMAG0075-1.jpg

IMAG0076-1.jpg

I would think drilling a 1inch hole i the side of my HLT would be a bad idea.

Don't fear the drill!

:rockin:

(My newest, keggle MLT will have four or five holes in it before I'm done.)

Don't want to mess with the corded thermometers anymore because of them not being water proof and having to deal with that. I have seen the Bobby post on how to fix that but don't want to go that route.

Why not? It's a $4 fix, it works, and prevents you from drilling a hole in your cooler. People have given you multiple options and you're not seeming to like any of them, so how about trying to invent a new way to do it?

Yep:

IMAG0075-1.jpg

IMAG0076-1.jpg

Don't fear the drill!

:rockin:

(My newest, keggle MLT will have four or five holes in it before I'm done.)

How long is your probe? You just make a hole a little smaller then the probe and just force it in there or did you seal it somehow?

How long is your probe? You just make a hole a little smaller then the probe and just force it in there or did you seal it somehow?

Step 3)
You will need to “drill” a small hole through the center of the solid stopper in order to accommodate the probe of the thermometer of your choice. Utilize the 3/16” drill bit to do this, you will not see much of a hole due to the stoppers ability to seal itself off, but it will provide an opening for the thermometer probe.

The probe is about 4" long. Only the tip has the temperature sensor.

Ahh you did the stopper method.

Does it matter if you have the thermometer down at the bottom like you have? Would the reading be different compared to it being somewhere closer to the middle of the tun? (if you are doing 10 gal batches so it's full)

Ahh you did the stopper method.

Does it matter if you have the thermometer down at the bottom like you have? Would the reading be different compared to it being somewhere closer to the middle of the tun? (if you are doing 10 gal batches so it's full)

You wouldn't think so since its not getting direct heat. As long as you stir like crazy when adding in your grain you should get a uniform temp throughout the whole tun. Plus being on the bottom I would feel would be better for stirring reasons

I am thinking of doing something similar. How about an inside view. Did you use any kind of sealant to prevent leakage?

You wouldn't think so since its not getting direct heat. As long as you stir like crazy when adding in your grain you should get a uniform temp throughout the whole tun. Plus being on the bottom I would feel would be better for stirring reasons

That is what I was thinking. Just didn't want to get a false reading because of the temp probe being in the wrong spot.

That is what I was thinking. Just didn't want to get a false reading because of the temp probe being in the wrong spot.

You will have temperature differences in the MLT, but they tend to be in the less than a degree to a couple of degrees range. That can't be avoided, heat rises.

One thing you DO NOT want to do, and that is open the lid for more stirring after the initial stirring. You WILL lose heat that way.

I use a 10 gallon cooler now. I see less than a degree of heat loss in an hour long mash.

I am thinking of doing something similar. How about an inside view. Did you use any kind of sealant to prevent leakage?

From the article:

thermprobe2.jpg

No sealant was needed. The stopper is a TIGHT fit, and adding hot water just makes it tighter.

You will have temperature differences in the MLT, but they tend to be in the less than a degree to a couple of degrees range. That can't be avoided, heat rises.

One thing you DO NOT want to do, and that is open the lid for more stirring after the initial stirring. You WILL lose heat that way.

I use a 10 gallon cooler now. I see less than a degree of heat loss in an hour long mash.

I always stirred my mash maybe twice in an hour just to make sure I got all the sugars outta the grains.

So I should just leave it alone and not worry about it and it will be fine?

I always stirred my mash maybe twice in an hour just to make sure I got all the sugars outta the grains.

Sparging gets the sugar out. As long as you mix the malt and water thoroughly (no dough balls), it should mash just fine.

So I should just leave it alone and not worry about it and it will be fine?

Unless you are adding heat, I would not open the lid during the mash.

Now that I have pumps, I wait until the hour is up, then add some hot sparge water to mash out and start recirculating.

Gonna give that a try this weekend. Ordered a digital and analog thermo and gonna install it and see if this makes my life easier ha.

Thanks for all the help.

Where did you guys get the solid stopper from? Home depot? My lhbs didn't have one.

I just filled the center hole with food grade silicone. It works great. In fact, I just pushed a thermo pen thru the center to get readings in my mast tun. There was no leakage even when I withdrew the pen to use elsewhere. Works great.

Good luck.

I just filled the center hole with food grade silicone. It works great. In fact, I just pushed a thermo pen thru the center to get readings in my mast tun. There was no leakage even when I withdrew the pen to use elsewhere. Works great.

Good luck.

So you used a solid stopper and didn't drill it...just poked the thermo through?

Hopefully I can find one locally but thank you.

So I finally got around to doing this. Worked out ok but it seems I have a tiny leak. I want to apply some silicone on the outside to stop this leak. Anyone have a recommendation of something I can get at ace or home depot that would work?

Ended up finding some 100% silicone at home depot that says it is food safe. Also says it is aquarium safe so it should hopefully work.

Back