Losing Carbonation in Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloomerjt07

Reaction score
Is it normal when that when your first put the brew in the fridge, for it to lose carbonation? Before i put it in there i crack one open and its got good carbonation, than when i put it in the fridge it seems to lose it.

Is the beer flat? or are you just not getting that nice little phfffffffft when ya open it?

As your beer cools off in the firdge the gas pressure in the unfilled space will drop and the amount of CO2 your beer can hold in suspension will rise

Check to see if you are priming at the correct rate when you bottle. Also it should start to bubble a little as the beer temp rises in your glass.
Leo

Yes, cool water absorbs more CO2 than warm water, so the pressure decreases. Try leaving them out for another week to let more pressure build up.

bloomerjt07 said:
Is it normal when that when your first put the brew in the fridge, for it to lose carbonation? Before i put it in there i crack one open and its got good carbonation, than when i put it in the fridge it seems to lose it.
Why are you cracking the beer before putting it in the fridge? I'm confused.

well what im talking about is after 2 weeks i "crack" one open and check the head and the flavor, and than if it looks and tastes right i refrigertate it. I made an american light, and used 3 oz. of priming sugar to reproduce a lightly carbonated beer. They had a great head before being refrigerated, but after they chill they lose their head, it still has very minor carbonation, but not any head at all.

I have found the same thing happens when I cool the beer down.. Lowering the temp slows down the CO2 and makes it reduce in pressure... What I normally do if I bottle, I make sure to leave it out an extra week if I plan on chilling it... I drink my beer at room temp normally so I never run into too much of that problem...

Back