Warning - Don't over tighten Star San lid!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andysim

Reaction score
Warning - Don't over tighten Star San lid!!

starsan.jpg

I've done that as well. My lid is now reinforced with electrical tape, lol.

did that myself, now I just seat the lid and give it a tiny bit more, fortunately mine broke towards the bottom of the bottle, no issues with the new one thus far

Dont ever let it sit in the direct FL sun while on top of a nice tool box. There is no paint on half of it now. Strong stuff.

Yet according to the inventor when diluted correctly you can drink it? Truth or urban legend I don't know.

I dont know "no rinse" seemed suspisous to me so I tasted it diluted. I now rinse. I love the shine it puts on bottles.:)

The dosage makes the poison. We ingest copper, magnesium, zinc, etc. that is critical to body metabolism but in sufficient dosage would kill us. It is perfectly reasonable to believe Charlie Talley when he states that a small amount of diluted Phosphoric Acid and Dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid solution can be ingested safely.

Certainly rinse if you feel strongly about it, but you are compromising your sanitation when you do.

I replace the cap on the measuring side with a cap from a sports bottle, so I can open and close it without removing the cap!

Another one that this happened too! Too solve the problem, I put a plastic baggie over the opening, and then tighten down the lid that has been decapitated over the top of it.

I save all the caps from previous Star San bottles for moments like these.

And yes, undiluted this stuff is potent. One of my bottles leaked once and melted/disintegrated the handle of the screwdriver sitting next to it.

This is one of the reasons I've stuck with iodophor. If I spill a bunch of iodophor, yes, I'll make a stain, but aquarium water conditioner with sodium thiosulfate in it will take out the iodine stains. Nothing will un-etch a formica counter.

Yet according to the inventor when diluted correctly you can drink it? Truth or urban legend I don't know.

You can drink it.

On another note just stick a 2 liter bottle cap or a liquor bottle cap on it. They are all the same size pretty much.

I have also broken the caps.

I have also drank the diluted solution. It has a sour acidic tasted but it's harmless and not even that bad tasting. No more sour then grapefruit juice. Certainly less sour then straight lemon juice.

I think the cap disintegrates over time from the star-san, broke the cap on mine as well.

The diluted solution doesn't taste bad at all, not that I'd drink it as a regular beverage... but not bad.

It's not like you even have to over tighten it for it to break. Damn caps are brittle at best and with my kung-fu grip I broke the cap without trying.

Add me to the list of people with broken Star San caps. I've since transferred the remaining liquid to a pump soap dispenser - 8 pumps = 1/2 oz.

Wow, 4 pages of people who can't screw a plastic lid on. I feel sullied and unusual.

Wow, 4 pages of people who can't screw a plastic lid on. I feel sullied and unusual.

Or smug?

Mine was certainly correctly threaded. I too found that it was all too easy to overtighten the cap and have it fail. I am no longer young and strong (well, at least I once was young) and the cap broke on mine as well. My iodophor came in identical packaging, and the caps remain intact on that, making me also wonder if StarSan makes the caps brittle. I don't think I gave mine any more force than I would have for a bottle of salad dressing, and I can't recall any of those failing. It looks to me like too common a problem....

Not at all.

Simply confused.:confused:

I can't speak for others. For mine, when screwing on the cap, what seemed like not very much torque proved to be too much, and the cap broke. I was interested to see that I am far from alone on this. The only other circumstance I can think of where I've had this happen is on tubes of epoxy, where once again I wonder about the effects of the chemicals on the plastic cap. I haven't cared enough about the epoxies to pursue it. I do have most of the bottle of StarSan still around, and would like to keep it usable. I'll try a soda bottle lid as was suggested earlier in this thread.

Me too. I did not notice it broke until the next time I used it. Sounds like they may want to find a better cap, something with more flex.

I had the same thing happen on the lid of my bottle. I put a double thickness ziplock bag over one end and attached it with a rubber band. Working fine for nearly a year.

When I first read this thread I thought, what are these people talking about just be careful. Sure enough, I over tightened the next time I brewed! Hopefully I can save the one good cap.

Back