Dirt taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LVBen

Reaction score
There is a strange taste in beers that I've been drinking in the last week or so. I don't know how to describe it other than to say it tastes like dirt. They are all hoppy commercial beers - Rogue Brutal Bitter, Stone IPA, other IPAs, and they are beers that I've had before which never had this taste before. Why do I taste dirt? My glasses are clean and I even tried drinking them straight from the bottle. It still tastes like dirt. It is a little bit unpleasant but not bad enough to make me dump them.

I was thinking that maybe it is the food pairing. I've had a lot of pizza and pasta dinners lately. Maybe the tomatoes or spices are altering my tastes. Or maybe something else. Maybe I've consumed way too many hops and my taste buds are getting sick of them. Any other ideas?

Are you on any medications? I know there are some that can mess with your sense of taste.

Hmm I'm not too sure. There is a chemical that came in the Seibel off flavor kit we used in my BJCP class that tasted like dirt. I'm not exactly sure what it was, or what exactly would cause it. It might have just been labeld "earthiness". Maybe its a hop compound you are picking up?

My cousin Erin says Southern Tier IPA tastes like dirt. I doubt she likes the taste of any beer let alone an IPA.

No medications other than a tylenol for a hangover last week and some tums for acid relief.

"Earthiness" would probably fit the taste. Yeah, maybe it is a hop compound that I've become sensitive to from consuming so many hoppy beers lately. I'll do some more taste testing to see if I can pinpoint where the taste is coming more accurately.

I think I found out what the problem was... These beers are expired. I got another earthy Stone IPA last night. This one was so bad that I couldn't drink it. I took a close look at the bottle and it said 'best by 02-10-10'. :( I'll be much more careful about how fresh the beers are that I am buying from now on.

I bought it yesterday at Vons.

Latest posts

Back