First time tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emerty

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hooked. I've made my first brew from a bitter kit and that's it. Hooked I tell you. :)

The trouble is that I'm a bit impatient...

I started a brew 3 weeks ago. It spent 2 weeks in the fermenting bin and I siphoned it into a keg last weekend. I've been sneaking little tastes and it's not bad considering I followed the kit instructions.. should I wait some more?

The kit instructions said ferment for 5 days and then bottle for 2 weeks... but I fermented for 2 weeks and kegged for 5 days... and now I can't stop drinking the stuff.. it tastes nice, but will it get any better?? Am I damaging the secondary fermentation by drawing off the odd couple of pints? (I'm not opening the top of the keg, just using the CO2 to push it out..)

I've now gone out and bought Charlie Papazian's book, read it from cover to cover and just been to my local HB store to get loads of quality ingredients.. can't wait to taste the next one!!

Thanks for any responses

Simmer down now! Make sure there's some left to sample in a few weeks.

Start brewing your ass off. That's the only way. I went at it the other way around. Got 4 cases of bottles and then got two kegs. Find that it gives a nice balance between the two and times. You know, you can force carb in as little as 4 or so hours, you got to over pressurize and shake the bejesus out of it.

I would drink some now, take some notes, and then let the rest sit for a couple of weeks. Now you can compare the current beer to your notes. I find that my beers tend to mellow a bit with some cold conditioning. (all the flavors mingle) Just my 2 cents

yep, definitely better now it's sat for a while. more fizz less of the slightly unpleasant taste, I'm guessing that's the "green" beer that's referred to above.

many thanks for the responses.

Why does brewing invoke such feelings of panic?

Back