Iodophor Contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
I read someone complaining of Iodophor contamination, supposedly caused by not letting the carboy dry out completely after decanting the sanitizing solution. I've never had this happen. has anyone else?

I always use 2 capfuls for 5 gallons of cool water. Let it sit in the carboy for a while, then decant. Then right before I add wort, I upturn the carboy again to let the small amount of residual solution run out.

Anybody got beef with Iodophor? :D

I for a while thought I had iodophor contamination in my bottles. But my beer just need to age more.

I personally like it better than anyother type of sanitation except maybe caustic but who uses that??? I have only (In the begining) ever had what I thought was a contaminated batch from it. I dont use as much as Monk only one FULL cap per 5 gal of COLD H2O if you use hot H2O you defeat its ability to do its job
JJ

Just read the label on my liter bottle of Iodophor...states 1/2 cap=1/4oz. and 1/4oz will sanitize 2 1/2 gallons. So with the liter bottle cap, a cap will sanitize 5 gallons to 12.5 ppm

I can say from *ah hem* personal experiance that leaving as much as 2 cups in a keg has little effect on taste per 5 gallons.

You dont want to know how I know this.

Cheers,

knewshound

knewshound said:
I can say from *ah hem* personal experiance that leaving as much as 2 cups in a keg has little effect on taste per 5 gallons.

You dont want to know how I know this.

Cheers,

knewshound

That's the kind of self-sacrificing experimentation that wins people Nobel Prizes, dang it! Well done, Knewshound.

Back