brown juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jock90

Reaction score
Hi to all fellow cidermen.I need advice I have pressed 6 gallons of juice from the apples of 3 trees,decided to try a gallon from a seperate tree this has come out muddy brown in colour is this worth trying to ferment or should I dump it, it looks awful this is my first go at brewing. the other 6 gal looks fine and is bubbling away, the trees are all wild and I have no idea what type of apples they are but they all look different types hope someone can advise me

The muddy brownness is just the little apple bits floating around. If you bought a gallon of real apple cider from an orchard, their stuff would look fairly similar.
Just take a small taste of it, and if it's really gross, then you can throw it out, but give it a try, and if it tastes good (ignore the look. It will clear out during ferment) go for it.

Yes it's worth fermenting if the apples were ok and not rotten - you wouldn't have picked them otherwise.
Fresh pressed apple juice goes brown when it's oxidizing just like an apple core does about 5 minutes after you've eaten the flesh. During fermentation it'll probably go yellow (with cultured yeast at least - You're other post implies you're trying wild, that maybe a browner colour) but as it clears it'll start to give you the 'golden' appearance i think you thought it would have now.
The flavour however is going to be an unknown though. Sharper/Tarter tasting apples come through better in cider. Depends on how the apples tasted.

Thanks for the advice yes I am using the natural yeast and the mixed apple juice I have got is green/yellow the thought of drinking the muddy gallon is a turn off but I will ferment it and let you know how it goes.

checked my brown juice last night its clearing, looks like it will be ok. not the same colour as the mixed apple juice but much more drinkable looking than before Ill keep you posted

its a success brown juice turned golden yellow. could resist it no longer just had a glass 20 minutes ago it was lovely, have bottled the rest as I am going out tonight only got a half gallon of this so will probably drink it tomorrow night. thanks for the encouragement I almost threw it out when I first pressed it.

Glad it's turned out good Jock90 - Remember that tree for next year's cider! :)

Back