apricot wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougler13

Reaction score
ok so ive decide to do an apricot wheat and this is what i have so far.

6 lb wheat extract
.5 lb crystal malt

1 oz hallertau 4 aau for flavoring
.5 oz cascade for the aromatic add at the end

For the apricot I'm going to use 3.5 lbs of pureed apricots that I'm going to add in the secondairy. Now my main question is this . I don't have a secondary right now and from what I've read is that adding fruits is best done in one. So would it be ok to just wait 7 - 10 days and just add it to the primary after the initial fermentation has slowed or is there a reason that this would not be a good idea?

Any tips on the recipe are appreciated too.

Others can speak with more experience, but I would think that you will want to have some sort of secondary to keep this in. You could probably get away with throwing the fruit into the primary. You will get some renewed fermentation with the new sugars from the apricots. Once that stops, you will probably want to move the beer off of the fruit solids and the yeast cake so that it can clear up a bit. But maybe you can get away with crash cooling and bottling/kegging.

I always add fruit to the primary after initial fermentation has died down, then wait another 10 days or so then rack to secondary. But I do definately think you need a secondary if you add fruit. Another option if you don't have a secondary and don't plan on getting one anytime soon would be to just skip the apricot puree and use an apricot flavoring like this http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_74&products_id=480

I would prime with the apricot puree. I don't really care about clarity issues and I think that it gives a very nice flavor. Calculate how many calories of dextrose you would normally use to prime, then add about this number (plus maybe a bit more) to the bottling bucket (with a good sanitized spoon stir).

Back