Raspberry Jalepeno Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kschrodt

Reaction score
Hi, this would be my first post on here.

I have tried my hand at a few different meads, though this would be my first melomel. I plan on using 6 lbs of honey and half a cup of black tea for a 3 gal batch with D47, then adding 4.5 lbs of raspberries and 9 jalepenoes to the secondary.

Do these measures seem accurate for a semi-sweet to sweet mead? Any critiques or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I find with Rasputin a little goes a long way. Nine jalepenos is a lot for three gallons of mead. Id dial that back a little.

I though it seemed a bit high myself, but I wanted to make sure the jalepeno didn't get drowned out by the raspberry. I've never brewed with any kind of pepper before. Does 5-6 seem more accurate?

I disagree. I used 9 in my 3 gallon batch and its still very subtle.

I think you could use 9, just taste every couple days to make sure it's not too strong. You may also want to cook with one before you use them in mead, to gauge how hot your particular batch is.

I've eaten amazingly hot jalapeños, and I've eaten some bell pepper - tasting jalapeños. Definitely eat one first. The way that hey make hot peppers hotter is dehydrating the plant while it's still growing. This helps to concentrate the heat before they take the pepper off. they don't do this with the big store brand peppers.

What I'm shooting for is a nice spicy jalepeno flavor with less emphasis on the heat. I think I'll stick to the 9 and try to find some bigger jalepenos, (As I understand it, they tend to be milder.) At any rate, I have some time to mull it over before I add them. Any thoughts on the amount of rasberries? Should I knock back the amount to keep it from overpowering the jalepeno?

I personally say the more raspberries the better with this. I doubt they'll shroud the pepper taste. They'll compliment it more than anything.

Back