Slow Cooker, Pressure Cooker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1ryno

Reaction score
I am looking for an easy way to steep grain.

I also would like to hop the wort towards the end in the same pot.

Slow cooker? Do they have temp control?

I have a pressure cooker I dont use aymore... would love to hear stories about this.

Some other fellow mentioned a rice cooker too.

A pressure cooker is going to be hotter than an open pot.
You have no way of checking the temperature inside the pot either.
With a lid on, the temperature will be higher. With a sealed lid, you can get very hot in there.

As for a slow cooker, I'm not sure. Do they make one big enough? I've never seen one that has a temperature control. Just three or four settings and the chance of one of those being the right temperature for the amount of water you have being right is pretty low. You will also not be able to do hop additions because you will not get a good boil in a slow cooker.
Same problem with a rice cooker.
These kitchen appliances aren't designed for precision. They do a good job at what they are designed for, but they aren't designed to make beer.

I think you need to read up on building an electric brew pot.

A pressure cooker is going to be hotter than an open pot.
You have no way of checking the temperature inside the pot either.
With a lid on, the temperature will be higher. With a sealed lid, you can get very hot in there.

As for a slow cooker, I'm not sure. Do they make one big enough? I've never seen one that has a temperature control. Just three or four settings and the chance of one of those being the right temperature for the amount of water you have being right is pretty low. You will also not be able to do hop additions because you will not get a good boil in a slow cooker.
Same problem with a rice cooker.
These kitchen appliances aren't designed for precision. They do a good job at what they are designed for, but they aren't designed to make beer.

I think you need to read up on building an electric brew pot.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of those potential constraints too.

I believe you are right on.

I guess I am just looking for an easy way to steep grain and boil hops.

I am not going to follow a rigid temp schedule like with an AG. I plan to use LME and then a partial with on temp while boiling hops at the end.

ok, did not see your requirement for outside boil until after I posted.

on my list for Santa is a turkey fryer (also wally world) for $50

with the 30-quart kettle, it would be just as easy to do full all-grain with full boil

Back