Possible BCS 460 Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spasticmutt

Reaction score
I am looking to build an electric brew system. I have been looking at Kal's design for his PID based system, and like it for the most part. But, I think I may be more inclined to go with a BCS system for automation and potential cost reduction.

I am not seeing any tidy little threads with a complete build list.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish. A 3 Keggle system with a 4500W heating element in the HLT and BK. I plan to use 2 chugger pumps for recirculation through the herms coil and for movement to/from the boil kettle.

I know I need the BCS 460 which is $189 and then 3 temp probes at $22 each.

I am trying to get an overall estimate of what I need and how much this will cost me.

I have, but wasn't able to find what I was looking for. I'm not wanting to go full automated, just want my pumps and elements wired for control.

What is your available power feed - 30A 240V or 50A 240V?

I might have a diagram that I've drawn some time ago that would fit your needs.

P-J

What is your available power feed - 30A 240V or 50A 240V?

I might have a diagram that I've drawn some time ago that would fit your needs.

P-J

Wow, thanks PJ. I have heard great things about you. Your helpful reputation proceeds you.

I will have 30A 240 as my power source.

I am also looking heavily at the Brewtroller setup as well. I am just trying to see where I can get the best bang for the buck.

Well the Kal kit and the Brewmaster Control system end up with the similar functionality but have many huge differences.

The Brewmaster system comes completely assembled and tested ready for 50A service, the Kal version is 2700 USD ordered ready to run.

Second, the Brewmaster is software based, with many features that physical switches and controllers can not deliver such as email updates, visual charting, a GUI, datalogging, etc. Further it also provides fermentation control and serving temperature control.

Anyway... just an idea if you are having problems with wiring or other technical issues.

Where in Fort Worth are you living, I get down there quite often for work.

Wow, thanks PJ. I have heard great things about you. Your helpful reputation proceeds you.

I will have 30A 240 as my power source.

I am also looking heavily at the Brewtroller setup as well. I am just trying to see where I can get the best bang for the buck.

Well as it turns out I do have a diagram that I drew in May 2012. It is shown with 5500W elements but that is not an issue. The diagram would be exactly the same with 4500W elements.

Thread: Ready to get this party started - Post #21 < click the link.

You might want to read the entire thread as well.

I hope this is of some help to you.

P-J

All depends on the features you want. You've got P-J on board, so that's a good start. He's also asked the most important first question: how much power will you have. If you're talking 30A 240 you can forget about two 4500W elements at the same time. I'd seriously suggest you consider upping to 50A with the GFI spa panel. On 50A I can run 2 5500W elements, 2 March 815 pumps, and my BCS460. I actually find that all circuits are go doing brew day. Even if I'm only doing one 10 gal batch. Anyway, here's my system. Sounds a lot like what you were looking to build in your first post. I do have parts lists, etc. and can give you an estimate of what my system cost. In the neighborhood of 1.7k, but there are lots of ways to save money - particularly in your control box. Fire away. . .

3 keggle system. Everything is 1/2": stainless Camlock QD's (Bargainfittings.com), 3 piece ball valves, silicone hoses with QDs. Mash-tun (MT) has Jaybird false bottom. Boil Kettle (BK) and Hot liquor tun (HLT) have 5500W camco ULWD elements. HLT has ~30ft coiled 1/2" copper Heat exchange coil. Two March 815 pumps with QDs and bleeder valves for priming. BCS460 with Netgear adapter for wireless interface.

All depends on the features you want. You've got P-J on board, so that's a good start. He's also asked the most important first question: how much power will you have. If you're talking 30A 240 you can forget about two 4500W elements at the same time. I'd seriously suggest you consider upping to 50A with the GFI spa panel. On 50A I can run 2 5500W elements, 2 March 815 pumps, and my BCS460. I actually find that all circuits are go doing brew day. Even if I'm only doing one 10 gal batch. Anyway, here's my system. Sounds a lot like what you were looking to build in your first post. I do have parts lists, etc. and can give you an estimate of what my system cost. In the neighborhood of 1.7k, but there are lots of ways to save money - particularly in your control box. Fire away. . .

3 keggle system. Everything is 1/2": stainless Camlock QD's (Bargainfittings.com), 3 piece ball valves, silicone hoses with QDs. Mash-tun (MT) has Jaybird false bottom. Boil Kettle (BK) and Hot liquor tun (HLT) have 5500W camco ULWD elements. HLT has ~30ft coiled 1/2" copper Heat exchange coil. Two March 815 pumps with QDs and bleeder valves for priming. BCS460 with Netgear adapter for wireless interface.

PM sent!

I am currently using gas so, I already have my keggles, fittings, false bottom, herms coil, and am looking to get my pumps soon.

All depends on the features you want. You've got P-J on board, so that's a good start. He's also asked the most important first question: how much power will you have. If you're talking 30A 240 you can forget about two 4500W elements at the same time. I'd seriously suggest you consider upping to 50A with the GFI spa panel. On 50A I can run 2 5500W elements, 2 March 815 pumps, and my BCS460. I actually find that all circuits are go doing brew day. Even if I'm only doing one 10 gal batch. Anyway, here's my system. Sounds a lot like what you were looking to build in your first post. I do have parts lists, etc. and can give you an estimate of what my system cost. In the neighborhood of 1.7k, but there are lots of ways to save money - particularly in your control box. Fire . . .

Do you have a drawing of your electrical system?

Sure. No problem. Good luck!
PLOVE

Control system.jpg

Back