Winter Warmer with Caraway

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So we're making a foray into the land of dark brews, and we've decided to start with a winter ale spiced with caraway. I was thinking about adding a little orange peel to the secondary ferment to create a more complex bouquet.

Thoughts/opinions/warnings on this idea? What is a good ratio of orange peel per gallon?

Personally, I'd skip the orange peel and try to just get the malt/caraway levels right. Sounds like it could be good - I'm thinking of pumpernickel bread as a reference. I imagine that with specialty malts, and caraway, it will be pretty complex as is. Are you planning on adding the caraway to the boil?

I find it a pretty strong spice, you might consider making a caraway vodka (via steeping) and add a bit at a time to get the levels right.

Sounds interesting - would love to try it.

I had a 5th of German Kummel. Took a year+ to finish. It's a caraway liquor that is very strong flavored. I'd be careful of using too much. I think no more than an ounce. That flavor gets nasty quick if too much is used.

The recipe presently calls for boiling the caraway with the brew, but I have been debating adding it in the secondary ferment for more control over the flavor. Unfortunately, the flavor profile will be changed by adding in secondary as well so I may be compromising some consistency in the process.

I'd really consider steeping the caraway with some 100 proof vodka and adding it at packaging - I think that will give you the most control over it.

Back