Cheapest draft setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc318

Reaction score
So I'm currently cleaning a little over 100 bottles for a 10 gallon bottling session tomorrow. I have a feeling that I'm gonna pissed about half way through. I seriously can't wait to have the money to keg. What are the price ranges for getting set up to keg. I have nothing right now. So I need a fridge, corny keg, hoses, faucet (probably picnic style), co2 tank, regulator, etc. Help me plan. Thanks guys and gals!

it's really hard to say, but think craigslist.
fridge - 100
keg - 35
hoses - 20
picnic faucet - 7
10 lb co2 tank - 70
regulator - 50
other misc keg connectors (1 gas and 1 beer for each keg) - 7 per connector

this is for the picnic connector, and prices in my area. if you want real taps in the kegerator, that's a lot more

I got my setup almost all on craigslist. I found a great deal though.
$30 for kegerator
$50 for co2 tank and regulator
$40 for external thermostat
$40 for a perlick faucet
Keg was free
And prob $50 for other pieces

Best deal I could find using the major online HBS was Midwest had 2 pinlock kegs with dual regulator, Co2 tank, and all fittings and hoses for $200. Then a $100 fridge on Craigslist. Then beverage factory has good deals on faucets and shanks if you choose to go that route later.

I used kegconnection.com for my set up minus the kegs, which were on sale at my lhbs at the time. One thing worth looking into that I discovered after the fact is the local welding supply Co. I spent about $60 on a 5 lb Co2 tank new (from kegconnection) and when I went to get it filled I noticed they have a bunch of used tanks sitting around so out of curiosity asked what they would charge for a 10 lb tank when I want to upgrade...$60 filled was the answer, that was a face palm moment but oh well. If you're on Facebook there's a page called homebrew finds that posts a bunch of great homebrew deals from several vendors, that's worth taking a look at too. As far as fridges, like others said, craigslist can be your best friend. Oh, and if you're not in a big hurry, consider black Friday sales, I seem to remember quite a few great deals last year, might be worth the wait...

Definitely check around. My LHBS charges $80 for a full 5lb CO2 cylinder, but the local beer store sells them for $50. You can also find CO2 cylinders on Craigslist -- they don't have to be pretty if you're just going to take them somewhere to swap (and they don't even need to be CO2). Just be careful about hydro dates, since some places (not all) charge extra if you're swapping an out-of-hydro cylinder.

Back