The [very cool] doctor who thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw my first show in 72 in England on my way to Turkey... as a kid.

It was on my local PBS station when I returned to the US in 74.

Been watching it ever since... and I don't even like horror movies... (There is almost always a monster in every episode)...

Since the 'new' series, I've not missed a show. Never cared much for the older ones but I must say, I do like so many British shows. Torchwood was another I enjoyed.
Youtube has a good amount of video from Comic Con this year when all the actors showed up. Interesting stuff. Gonna miss Amy Pond.......yummy!
Think the new series begins next week.

It's mostly the nostalgia for us 30+ somthings, I think. I mean it's still a decent show.

I was shocked that it held appeal for my 6 year old son. But, then again, each episode has some form of bad guy so, why wouldn't it.

Since the 'new' series, I've not missed a show. Never cared much for the older ones but I must say, I do like so many British shows. Torchwood was another I enjoyed.
Youtube has a good amount of video from Comic Con this year when all the actors showed up. Interesting stuff. Gonna miss Amy Pond.......yummy!
Think the new series begins next week.

Spoilers, dammit!

Well, crap. They are going to have a hard time finding a chick as hot as she. I still miss Rose too. Different sort of hot, but I liked her.

I miss David Tennant as well. The new doctor is fine, but there was just something about Tennant that made him the best doctor for me. It's like there were two doctors, Tom Baker, and David Tennant.

Hopefully Matt Smith will get more opportunities to show off his uniqueness.

You know, I felt the same way about Tennant when Matt Smith was coming in, but after about halfway through the first season, I definitely found a lot of respect for Smith's doctor, bowtie and all. At this point, I can't honestly say which of the two I like more - though I'll admit nothing beats the riteous fury Tennant's doctor could work up... Just thinking about how he punished the family of blood sends chills down my spine, every time.

Anyway, as to that spoiler, you can hardly read a news item about the upcoming season without reference to it... Change is almost always a good thing though, despite the fact that we Whovians tend to resist it at first.

I only got into the doctor about 2 months ago. Finished the whole "new" series in a month and now I'm working on the original. Can't want for sept 1st. Just read that they're having a youtube spinoff called "Pond Life" starting monday.

Spoilers, dammit!

Well, crap. They are going to have a hard time finding a chick as hot as she. I still miss Rose too. Different sort of hot, but I liked her.

I miss David Tennant as well. The new doctor is fine, but there was just something about Tennant that made him the best doctor for me. It's like there were two doctors, Tom Baker, and David Tennant.

Hopefully Matt Smith will get more opportunities to show off his uniqueness.
Sorry but I thought most knew that his companions never stick around long. I think they'll be there for the first half of the seaon....6 shows then the break for 2012. Well, there is the Christmas special but he's always alone. In 2013 there are 6 more with a new chick. Don't know much about her.

Never heard about Pond Life but must look it up.

I'm not much on redheads, but Karen Gillan can knock on my hotel door falling down drunk anytime she wants! Unlike that other fool, I'd actually let her in for tea!

I really liked Tennant but a few shows into Smith and I like him more. That said, it's going to get harder and harder to find new ones I guess. But I give the show credit, it keeps entertaining bringing in new blood.
Davies and his group are doing a great job in casting and keeping the creative juices flowing.

fish sticks and custard...mmmmm... and bow ties are cool... must admit, I geeked my oldest out on doctor who and now the rest are following.. she said the best book I got her was the secrets of the tardis or the tardis hand book (can't remember which one) explains every aspect of the tardis and all the doctors up to smith..

btw... my favorite is still tom baker.. he is the one I grew up with on PBS :)

should mention also that for thoes with BBC america every saturday they have had a hour special about doctor who with things like the women of and time travel ect.. lots of doctor who on the nerdist witch is talk show program on BBCA :mug:

Love the show.

I have a small dalek on my desk at work. It's awesome. it rolls around screaming 'Exterminate'. No one else knows what it is. They keep asking me if it's the robot from Lost in Space.

Cretins!

Beer-lord, Davies isn't directly involved with the show anymore - hasn't been since the Tennant Doctor. I forget the name of the guy running the show now, wanna say its Moffat? So far I like his direction better, and the caliber of writing a little better, except for the perception filter plot device they leaned on a little too often in the first season or two...

I've only seen part of one of the new Dr. Who series; not really enough to decide whether I liked the newest Dr. or not. Every time the doctor regenerated & was replaced by a new actor, I was rather dissappointed for a while. I mean it was sort of like starting the series all over again. When I started watching, Tom Baker played The Doctor & I got used to him. IMHO, He will always be THE Doctor; Kind of like how Errol Flynn will always be THE Robin Hood. Of course with the advancements in technology, I'm sure the newest incarnation of Dr. Who hould be pretty spectacular.

I miss Sarah Jane (sigh) ;)
Regards, GF.

I love Doctor who. I've been watchin sionce the new series started. I even went to NYC this past weekend to see the season 7 premire.

It rocked. Matt Smith made us all promise not to leak any spoilers. Him and Karen Gillian feilded Q's after. It was a good time

Beer-lord, Davies isn't directly involved with the show anymore - hasn't been since the Tennant Doctor. I forget the name of the guy running the show now, wanna say its Moffat? So far I like his direction better, and the caliber of writing a little better, except for the perception filter plot device they leaned on a little too often in the first season or two...

Yes, you're correct but based on what's been said at Comic Con, he's still giving them help with ideas and I think he still owns some of the production company that's involved.
Steven Moffat is the current major writer and producer.
I agree, his writing seems wittier and if and when the 2 get together, it's a smash.

5 more nights!

Watched "The Timey Wimey of Dr Who" on the DVR last night, and I just can't wait for the season premier now. Crosschk, it may be a good thing you haven't posted a location, as you may have a couple folks coming to torture a couple spoilers out of you! ;)

This Saturday should be a pretty bang-up day - brewing up a nice American stout with a couple buddies, so long as everyone's schedules line up, then getting to watch the Doctor that night? Sweet!

Stratslinger Ill give you a clue, it took a 4 hour drive each way and was worth it. The episode was really cool. I'm looking forward to watching it again.

As for tourture, don't work so hard, just bring beer :)

I have a buddy that does landscaping, he had to work next door to this house and he had the creeps the entire time. Wasn't happier than when that job was done!

ForumRunner_20120827_095043.jpg

Started watching the new series a couple months ago. Only three episodes into Matt Smith, he is growing on me. But I still prefer Chris Ecclestien (SP) to Tennant or Smith, but I assume it is just because I started it off with him.

I need to give Amy more time, but Martha has been my favorite companion.

Started watching the new series a couple months ago. Only three episodes into Matt Smith, he is growing on me. But I still prefer Chris Ecclestien (SP) to Tennant or Smith, but I assume it is just because I started it off with him.

I need to give Amy more time, but Martha has been my favorite companion.

Donna Noble.. she was the funniest and thought she should of had a little more time.. she has a show called the catherine tate show that is hilarious if you understand most british humor:mug:

Really? I couldn't stand Donna. Was so happy when her stint was over. Was pissed that after Martha they brought back the red head form the dreadful wedding episode she first appeared in.

Though I will admit I did like the story arc involving her and then her granddad.

motobrewer said:
a person's favorite doctor is always the first doctor they watch.

that's a doctor who fact.

I started with Christopher but liked matt the best. I would agree however the only reason i liked Christopher at all is because he was the first.

Really? I couldn't stand Donna. Was so happy when her stint was over. Was pissed that after Martha they brought back the red head form the dreadful wedding episode she first appeared in.

Though I will admit I did like the story arc involving her and then her granddad.

not my favorite but thought she was the funnist one.. still like Rose for her sultry looks and love for the doctor but like Pond most for her passion and scottish red hair:mug:

I started with Christopher as well. I liked him as the dr, but now its a close call between matt and david with david in the lead by a hair. I'm sure after this season Matt will be fav dr for me

David was the best of the new doctors. Christopher was very good, and gave the show a certain serious vibe that was helpful in bringing it back from obscurity. If they had started with a silly doctor, I don't think it would have been taken seriously.

David was able to convincingly carry off silly AND serious when necessary.

So its inevitable that a new doctor will come. How ever if you could pick an actor to replace matt Smith, "who" would it be? Personally, i would like nothing more then to see the fella from the new bbc series Sherlock Holmes. He would be ideal.

I can't bring myself to watch any of the newer ones. Do any of the old Doctor's ever do cameos?

I saw someone here made a Tardis replica of a mini fridge...I'd like to do a Dalek fermenter. The Morebeer ultimate conical already looks like an imperial probe scout, so why not a Dalek version?

There was a Children in Need special a few years back where the David Tenant Doctor met up with the Peter Davison Doctor, so the door does seem to be open for other such guest appearances. Personally, I'm holding out for a "The Three Doctors" kind of deal where they bring together Eccleston, Tenant, and Smith for a short arc, but I don't know if that's even realistic...

stratslinger said:
There was a Children in Need special a few years back where the David Tenant Doctor met up with the Peter Davison Doctor, so the door does seem to be open for other such guest appearances. Personally, I'm holding out for a "The Three Doctors" kind of deal where they bring together Eccleston, Tenant, and Smith for a short arc, but I don't know if that's even realistic...

I agree, that would be awesome, however, that would mean the doctor would have to enter his own time line. I'd love to see the plot device that would allow that! It would have to be a two parter.

rhoop said:
I agree, that would be awesome, however, that would mean the doctor would have to enter his own time line. I'd love to see the plot device that would allow that! It would have to be a two parter.

it happens with the first 3 doctors I think thats when they meet the master.. I can't remember..

BrewingViking said:
SPOILERS!

So what does everyone think of souffle girl as the new companion?

I think she's cute.. wonder how that works out cause if the doctor gets her before she becomes a dalek hybrid then they will remember him after all.. :mug:

BrewingViking said:
SPOILERS!

So what does everyone think of souffle girl as the new companion?

SPOILERS!

I wish. She's a bot man. The new one is gonna be a kid i bet. Sad to think but, im guessing the eye candy has been 86'd.

I think she's cute.. wonder how that works out cause if the doctor gets her before she becomes a dalek hybrid then they will remember him after all.. :mug:

I don't see your logic... Just because he gets her as a companion earlier in her personal timeline than the point where she becomes a dalek hybrid, doesn't necessarily mean that she doesn't still eventually become that dalek hybrid and help the doctor out of the jam he was in in the asylum. Timey wimey stuff and all that.

Personally, I think we're already off for another sad ending with a companion. Sure, maybe his goodbye with this one might not be sad, but we've already seen her own, individual eventual sad ending.

Back