Rapid wild fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeBreton

Reaction score
What started as an attempt to make a French style keeved cider completely failed but has transformed into an awesome tasting naturally fermenting cider.

This is my first wild yeast fermentation yet is going even faster then the last batch I made using a champagne yeast. My research seemed to suggest that a wild yeast is typically slower then most commercial offerings so I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience with measuring the rate of natural fermentation.

It's sailing at 0.003-0.004/day and cruising past 1.022 with no sign of slowing.

I did a one gallon batch from a cidermill that I just threw in a jug with an airlock and had the air lock bubbling away within 24 hours. I didn't take any gravity measures until it was done though and i went from 1.052 to .998. I think it just dends what is on your apple skins and could vary consideribly batch to batch

If it's such a good wild strain you could re-use it in another batch. I'm not sure the exact procedure on this though.. sorry.

If it's such a good wild strain you could re-use it in another batch. I'm not sure the exact procedure on this though.. sorry.

You better believe it. The basic way seems to be simply freezing the lees then adding it to the next batch.

There are some Youtube videos showing how to "wash" yeast.

My keeved juice is bubbling away nicely out in my garage. The liquid was at 40°F last week. It has dropped about 5 points in two weeks.

Took a reading today. 1.012 and finally showing signs of slowing. I estimate the FG will be around 1.004-1.006 which is right about where I like my sweetness.

Good to hear you're keeved juice is going well Joe. My keeve completely failed which is why this batch is going so fast. But I now have a delicious blend going with the wild fermentation so it's not a total loss.

I am brewing my first batch now and I added sweet mead yeast from white labs and unpasteurized cider and the fermentation took off like CRAZY and I got 86% attenuation. Primary ferment was complete at about 4 days. Not turning out how I hoped so far but I'm working on a salvage attempt.

You better believe it. The basic way seems to be simply freezing the lees then adding it to the next batch.

I saw something about adding glycerin to the yeast before freezing. I haven't started to wash my yeast yet, but freezing might be a good way to go.

LeBreton,

What do you think happened with your keeve attempt? Could you have missed period when the chapeau brun had risen?

Joe

I saw something about adding glycerin to the yeast before freezing. I haven't started to wash my yeast yet, but freezing might be a good way to go.

LeBreton,

What do you think happened with your keeve attempt? Could you have missed period when the chapeau brun had risen?

Joe

I've only just started researching how to save a yeast strain so there is still a lot to learn. Just putting the yeast in the fridge seems like it would not make the yeast completely dormant as the extra half gallon I had definitely fermented in there. I haven't yet come across any info on adding glycerin but maybe that's just what is needed to protect the yeast for long term storage in such temps. Also considering attempting to develop this strain into something long term.

The keeve failed due to user error. I didn't realize the clarity of the juice I used was due to it having been filtered until too late :D. Luckily I bought a second kit of PME and CaCl from Chris to save on shipping.

Back