Of Mice and Men: Wireless TVs and Wireless Bluray Players

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme6582

Reaction score
So I just spent a half hour trying to connect my parent's $1000 brand new tv to their wireless network only to find that they'll need to buy an $80 usb adapter to do this. My Bluray player at home hooks right up to my network. I think I spent about $100 on it. Can anyone explain to me why a Bluray player has this built in but a tv that cost 10 times as much doesn't?

Nice tv Dad but if you want it to be super cool you need to spend more money on it.
Merry Christmas

So I just spent a half hour trying to connect my parent's $1000 brand new tv to their wireless network only to find that they'll need to buy an $80 usb adapter to do this. My Bluray player at home hooks right up to my network. I think I spent about $100 on it. Can anyone explain to me why a Bluray player has this built in but a tv that cost 10 times as much doesn't?

Nice tv Dad but if you want it to be super cool you need to spend more money on it.
Merry Christmas

What kind of TV is it? Most of them don't require a dongle these days

Sounds like a black friday model where they strip out a lot of the features. I thought all new tvs had them now.

It's because many of them have limited features via USB and it's prefferred they be wired to a media network.

There are exceptions now that network media has become more prolific.

My Bluray player is the same. It was right when they started adding wifi to the models. I would have to buy the $80 usb dongle to get wireless. Luckily I had an old router turned wireless bridge to use instead.

This essentially is the most confusing thing in consumer electronics, i.e. XYZ vs. XYZ-READY.

WIFI-READY means it's capable of using WIFI with the external dongle. WIFI included is usually the term to look for. Even a gadget geek like me has to stand there scrutinizing the spec sheet or box to figure out which is which. Most new TVs and Bluray players don't pull the wifi-ready marketing scam anymore.

The tv is a Samsung. Knowing my dad, it was the one Consumer Reports told him to buy. It's got an ethernet port, so the problem could be remedied with a 30 dollar wireless bridge. To be honest, I don't think they'd use it if the thing were connected. It just seems ridiculous that the tv doesn't have it. The sub $100 Visio in their bedroom even has built in wireless.

Back