Wall Crasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoedBrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 630
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
2.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Gets better with age...crisp and refreshing
Malt Mashed at 148 degrees for 75 minutes

2 lbs German Pilsner
2 lbs American 2-Row
2 lbs Wheat
couple handfulls of Rice hulls

Hops
1oz Sonnet 5%AA boiled for 15 minutes

tossed in the White labs Berliner Weiss blend @ 85 degrees let lower to 68 degree fermentation...

Edit: Fermentation: The longer you ferment this the more sour it will get. I kept this in primary for 10 weeks then bottled. I would recommend at least 6 weeks. I let it sit in bottles an tried it at various times I think it hit its peak at about 6 months, but it was drinkable after 2 weeks in bottles. I am not kegging bacteria.

Oh forgot to mention Sonnet is a new hop I tried from Hops Direct...little bit like a cross between Goldings and Fuggles? But the hops aren't that important in this.

I am going to try and make a version of this soon I have a few questions though
1- how long should it be left in the secondary is six months going to give it any benifit if so what dried yeast would be good to bottle with
2-I have read somewhere the fermenting a sour beer should be done in glass as it will ruin a plastic bucket is this true for this yeast strain

@BLM - I edited my post with what I did for fermentation. I used a bucket that I do not use anymore for fermentation. I was even a bit scared of glass holding onto the bacteria.

I didn't use a secondary, I just left it in that bucket in my basement for about 10 weeks give or take a couple days. I didn't want to infect 2 containers :)

As for dried yeast I am not sure, the White Labs Berliner Weisse I used on this turned out nice...If you are souring the Mash then you don't want to use this yeast.
If you sour the mash then just use a regular yeast strain...but what is good about this way is the lacto eats up a lot of sugars the Saccro yeast will not, leaving it lighter in character.

Here is the description from the site:

WLP630 Berliner Weisse Blend
A blend of a traditional German Weizen yeast and Lactobacillus to create a subtle, tart, drinkable beer. Can take several months to develop tart character. Perfect for traditional Berliner Weisse.
Attenuation: 73-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-72°F

you think glass will even hold onto the bacteria? I didnt know it would do that

the reason I was questioning the dried yeast thing was after it sits in a secondary for so many months which I was going to do for at least four months I wasnt sure if the yeast would still eat up the cornsuger at bottling

so I am not sure if I will use a secondary maybe I can ask a question in another part of the forum and as far as bottleing I will add no extra yeast just corn sugar so how much corn suger should I add at bottleing

I don't know if glass would hold any bacteria or not but I knew this would be sitting a while and I was still brewing other things.

Carbonation : Well for a typical 5 gallon batch its 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar, but since this style calls for high carbonation I just put a cup in.

Did you use heavy Belgian bottles? Or regular 12oz bottles? Capped or corked an caged?

Glass is better for long term aging and brewing sours due to the lack of oxygen permeability and the fact that it can be sanitized thoroughly. Acetobactre will cause an overpowering vinegar flavor if it gets too much oxygen. You can still use plastic but you should label every piece of plastic that comes into contact with the beer and only use it with sours.

Back