Feedback on all grain recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddiebosox

Reaction score
So I have been tweaking this recipe for a while now and wanted some advice. This started as a Rogue Yellow Snow IPA clone but i've tweaked it to make it my own. Im looking for a hop bomb ipa.

12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM)

60 min 1.00 oz Summit [18.50 %] (60 min)
30 min 1.00 oz Cascade [5.90 %] (30 min)
15 min 1.00 oz Cascade [5.90 %] (15 min)
5 min 1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min)

dry hop 1 week 2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %]

safale us-05 yeast

My main criticism is, its still not as hoppy as I want it, aroma and taste wise. It’s just right on bitterness. It also tastes a little sweet, even though FG was 1.010.

Should I mix up my grain bill a bit? I want that strong citrusy hop aroma and flavor to really dominate, and it’s so far eluded me.

I would move the 30 minute addition, I don't think you get much flavor from that. For that big hop flavor and aroma you really need to load up at 20 minutes and less. I love cascades, but I feel that they are a little less intense than some of the other american citrusy hops (amarillo, centennial, simcoe, etc...) I would use some other hops in the last 20 minutes to get a bit bolder flavor.
If you're dead set on only cascades for flavor and aroma, then maybe do an ounce each at 20, 15, 10, 5, and 0. That should get you plenty of flavor.

For the grain bill - I'm pretty sure that Carapils and Carafoam are essentially the same thing. You have 2.5 pounds which is a lot. I would try a pound of carapils and maybe add .5 lb of a darker crystal (20-60) for color and a little more complex flavor. It kinda depends on what you're looking for. I like my IPAs to have a good solid malt backbone.

hope this helps

thanks. Theres no crystal since Rogues Yellow Snow is 2 row, melanoiden and carapils only. I'll dial down the dextrine and add a bit of crystal 20 next time to see what it comes out like. Then use more centennials.

First of all, nice name ;)

2nd of all, I've been reading Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher and he suggests that if you're aiming for a well balanced hoppy beer you shouldn't add the same amount of hops at different times in the boil. He suggests that..

"Many recipes will add the largest quanitity of hops at the beginning of the boil, then smaller amounts in the middle and at the end. This results in most of the bitterness coming from the first hop addition, and with a relatively small amount of hop aroma in the finished beer....if you want, say, a thirdy of your bitterness to come from each of the early, middle and late hop additions, the quantities used cange dramatically-relatively small amounts in the early addition, fairly large quantities in the second (half hour) addition, and very large amounts in the final aromatic dose."

-Randy Mosh, Radical Brewing. Pg. 52

I’ve been reading about the trend in getting bitterness from late additions and want to try it, but hop pellets are 1.99 a pop and I like really bitter (80 IBU) IPA’s, so doing the math that spikes up the cost quite a bit.

I usually do one high bittering hop at 60 minutes, and the rest at 30 minutes or less. But from waht Im reading ehre, the 30 minute additions are a waste as far as flavor and aroma.

If you're paying $1.99 a pop you're overpaying. Order some stuff from the vendors list on here. I got like 15 ounces of hops rnaging from 60 cents to $1 an ounce. You could get yourself a little supply of hops for pretty cheap usually. It may be worth it just once to spend the extra money to see how it comes out and see if it's worth it. I'm going to try and do this for mynext brew :p

Bitter beers are great, but some of my personal favorites are the IPAs that are not only bitter but smell and taste hoppy as well.

thanks. Theres no crystal since Rogues Yellow Snow is 2 row, melanoiden and carapils only. I'll dial down the dextrine and add a bit of crystal 20 next time to see what it comes out like. Then use more centennials.

carapils is considered crystal and crystal takes away from hop flavor. just lowering all of that crystal should help fix your problem. I'd keep it 5% or under

check this out for more help in getting where you want: http://www.brew-monkey.com/articles/Better_Hoppy_Beers.pdf

Back