Grain Balance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
I have a recipe has contains 10.5lb of 2-row 1lb of Munich and 1 lb of 20L Crystal.
I also have 5lb of Belgian pale that was not part of this kit, I want to add to make a bigger beer. My question is if I am adding almost 50% more base malt do I want to add 50% more of the other two malts for balance? The kit is from AHS and it is there clone of Stone IPA. I just want to mkae it a little bigger as I have not done this yet.

15.5 pounds should give you a beer in the 1.080s which gets you into the Stone Ruination range. I would leave the specialty grains alone, or at least not add any more Crystal. This beer is going to be sweet because of all the alcohol. I would mash it low, like maybe 146, to help keep it as dry as possible. I then would hop it to death, out into the 200 IBU range, all in at once for 60 plus minutes. That sounds crazy, but trust me, it works really well. There are numerous threads about these double/imperial IPAs so I won't go off here, but use one of the big C hops and make a San Diego IIPA. Use a great amount of a well attenuating yeast.

Jim Karr said:
BP, what do you think the ABV of this brew would finish out at?

Something in the range of 9.5 depending on the final gravity. I made one of these recently that dropped to a 1.012 in 4 days. At 75% effeciency this recipe would come in at about 1.090, if it goes down to 1.015, well lets just say don't plan on doing much if you have a couple.

Again, I say hop this thing to death, something like 4.5 ounces of 15AA Columbus pellets to get something like 205 calculated IBUs. It won't taste like that much, but it will be a nicely balanced IIPA.

It came with Warrior for bittering and Centennial for aroma, flavor and dry hopping. 4oz of hops total, I was going to try a first wort hop by adding the warrior to my kettel before I drain the mash tun.

That will get you in the 170s which will work, but I would still go for more. I have never used those so I can't comment on their character. Keep us informed!

I will be using white labs Cal V as it came with it. I am nervous about fermenting warm as this happened to me before and I got a banana flavor I do not like. This was a different yeast though.

Back