Greetings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cakins

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just wanted to say a thank you. I have done all of the (I hope required reading) and read most of the posts and just laid down my first batch of mead. It has a very good amber quality and is cloudy I am assuming that is normally. I will look at it regularly and record it progress to see what I am getting from the stop lock. I was looking at about 19% on my hydrometer when I set it to ferment it was at room temp give or take a few, I will do my best to record progress over the next 2 months.

Thanks again for the advice even if you did not know you were giving any.

Carl

p.s. - If anyone would like pics, I will do my best to send links.

Thanks again

Forget about links, I want pics and I want em here! haha I am a big proponent of seeing your progess (and showing my own) so put some pictures up in here. You can either use html code in your post to post the picture or load it straight to HBT.

And I really like the idea of your post, so I will add thanks to everyone that has helped me, with or without knowing.

Hope this works

l_b90396f44696442ca684be2a38a091c8.jpg

Please let me know if it does not and if I can post a pic direct I would love to know how.

I did not want to make too much because I did not want 5 gallons of crap. If you know what I mean, but is has a real good flavor for noe and had a great cooking smell.

Thanks.

C

nice looking beverage in progress -my only concern is - that is a butt ton of head space. you could be looking at oxidation issues after primary fermentation is over and the Co2 blanket disappates from opening and testing several times. have you considered when racking over to secondary - putting into a smaller carboy for aging? That would deffinitely be on my list of things to do if that were my elixer in there. :)

nice looking beverage in progress -my only concern is - that is a butt ton of head space. you could be looking at oxidation issues after primary fermentation is over and the Co2 blanket disappates from opening and testing several times. have you considered when racking over to secondary - putting into a smaller carboy for aging? That would deffinitely be on my list of things to do if that were my elixer in there. :)

+1 on what Snuffalupagus said.

Hope this gets read, and yes I was going to move over to a smaller carboy for aging, but now I seem to have a new problem.

this morning and noticed mold colonies floating on top. They look like little white fuzzy buttons with a bluish center. Is this batch ruined? The airlock is not blubbing, I do not think I have seen it bubble at all. I did check it and it is tight but abke to move. Does this mean that air has gotten in or was or is there too much air in there, can I rack to a smaller unit to save?

Thanks

C

from what i gathered while being on this forum is that mead is rarely completely ruined.

my 2 cents: rack from below the mold. use sulfite tablets to kill any possible infection and then re-pitch the yeast.

I'm sure that others will have much more detailed suggestions as well

Hello again,

Thanks for picking up my posts,

I have a buddy who runs a brew shop. he came over after work he said yes it was mold we were able to save it still has a reall good taste guess I got it early. Best he can figure is that I made to little in the 6.5 and I had too much O so I never got a good mix of letting the co2 off, he thinks I would have had to pump co2 into it too make it work.

But good news, we racked it down, and moved it to a 3 gall. will post new pics soon.

Thanks again for all the help.

C

Latest posts

Back