Chicago Area Recomendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I'll be in the Chicago area between June 12-16. Any brews or places I should pick up/visit while I'm there?

Well I'm back from Chicago and the I sampled a few beers while I was there. Not as many as I'd liked, but it was still good. I was able to try the Blue Moon Wit. Good stuff. I just wish they hadn't served it with a wedge of orange. I took it out, but every sip I got a huge orange aroma. I was also able to stop by Goose Island at Wrigleyville. First I had the 4 sampler flight with the Honker's Ale, IPA, Hefeweizen, and the Fat Goose Amber. They were all great, the IPA being my favorite, and the Amber probably the least. I think the amber had too much bitterness for the style, but maybe it's just me. The hefe was great, a good example of a bavarian hefeweizen made in america. I didn't try the 312 urban wheat, so I can't compare. Then I had a pint of the Blonde they had cask conditioned. More micros should cask condition their ales. It was slightly sweet and not overly carbonated. It was really nice and smooth, and very fruity. I finished off the night with their kolsch. Again, a good example of he style, at least in my limited experience with the style. Nice and crisp, not overly sweet or bitter, and higher in the carbonation. That's all I was able to try. I need to get out to that part of the country again soon to try some more.

Funny that you mention the orange wedge in Blue Moon. I hate fruit garnishes on my beer. Bars look at me funny for ordering a hefe without lemon. They look at me like I ordered a steak dinner and asked them to hold the steak.

Yeah, I usually try to do that too. But like I said, I had never had the Blue Moon before. And I really wasn't expecting orange. The bartender should be nice enough to ask if you want it. Especially since I told her I had never had it before.

Latest posts

Back