Vissani Kegerator @ Home Depot - Thermostat question, fermentation chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
So I ran across a nice looking kegerator at Home Depot yesterday. It's model #mckc49os from Vissani. I can not find any information online about Vissani kegerators, which kind of worries me.

It would be $399 on my Home Depot credit card. I was originally planning to build the "Son of a Fermenation Chiller", but I was wondering if I could do better with this kegerator.

Basically, I would put the carboy in the kegerator while it is fermenting to control the temperature. After fermentation is complete, I would fill up a corny keg and use it as a kegerator. I've been looking for a way to ditch bottling and this seems like the way to go.

I had a few questions. I looked in the manual at the store and it controls the temp between 36 and 44 degrees. This is obviously too cold to use as a fermentation chiller. Is there a recommended thermostat that will work between 36 and 74 degrees? This seems like a perfect range for both fermentation chiller purposes and kegerator purposes.

Has anyone heard of these kegerators, and is it hard to bypass the thermostat? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Johson control just like whats used on a chest freezer would work. Just set the themostat in the kegerator to 36 and then set the control to the desired temp for fermentation.

I would still have to bypass though, wouldn't I? Is there somewhere online where I can read up on how to do this? It would be an expensive mistake if I screwed up.

Could I buy those johnson controllers at Home Depot or do I have to order them online from a homebrew business?

I would still have to bypass though, wouldn't I? .

Not at all , all you do is set the thermostat to 36 and put the probe from the control in the kegerator. Power cord from kegerator gets plugged into the controler and the controler just cuts the juice when it hits the temp desired. Its very simple . It will never go below 36* but would good at higher temps like say 60 to 65* to ferment an Ale for example
Could I buy those johnson controllers at Home Depot or do I have to order them online from a homebrew business?

you can buy them online

like http://www.rancoetc.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-prewired-p-87.html

Seems to me that you could get a Sanyo with a 2 tap tower to serve, and a used fridge off of craigslist or ebay for about the same price (excluding co2 gear). If you went that route you could ferment and cold store while you have beer on tap.

Only problem with the used fridge idea is that I would have no room to store it. I need something small and compact and this particular kegerator looks like it would work well.

That's great news about the Johnson controller, I didn't even know they had anything like that.

It will work at a warmer temp. I bought one to hold a keg. Guess what it will not cool below 45 degrees. This thing is a piece of junk and this is the second one in less than a week.

Is it advertized to go to a lower temp, 19Sooner81? 45 degrees is an excellent temp to serve beer at, at least for me.

It will work at a warmer temp. I bought one to hold a keg. Guess what it will not cool below 45 degrees. This thing is a piece of junk and this is the second one in less than a week.

Well, that's a disappointment. It is advertised to go to about 36 on the coldest setting. 45 is not IDEAL serving temp for me, but I can deal with it. It will double as a fermentation chamber anyway.

Well I attached a "Fermometer" strip to my corny keg and left it in the keg fridge overnight at the coldest setting.... Unless there's something I'm missing, it's too cold to even register on the fermometer, so it's under 36 degrees. When I raised the thermostat to 5 (6 begin the coldest) it was at about 37-38 degrees.

I placed the fermometer directly on the side of the corny... any problem doing this? Would this give me an accurate temperature reading... being on the cold steel?

I would imagine it's OK, fermometers go on the sides of glass carboys all the time with no problem.

I can try putting the strip somewhere else in the fridge if I had to, any recommendations?

The corny keg was REALLY cold to the touch.... that's a good sign though!

Sounds like an exorbitant amount of money to spend on something you could build yourself. Also -- are you saying that you're EITHER going to use to control ferment temps OR to dispense? When you have a full keg, what are you going to do with the next batch that you want to ferment? Or are you just going to take your kegerator "offline" for 3 weeks while you ferment your next batch, then hook everything back up once the keg is full again????

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here, but I bet if you go buy this thing, you'll wind up disappointed in the next year. Googling has brought up this thread, and results from the MicroMatic forum, of other disappointed users, but no reference to any manufacturer. They seem like a crock.

If you're buying it at Home Depot anyways, what about a very small chest freezer? $199, holds 3 cornies plus a CO2 tank... or if you build a collar and put the CO2 outside, you could easily hold 2 cornies plus a lagering carboy.

Edit: Don't forget that it's almost certain to come with a Sanke tap, so add the money for gas/liquid QDs too.

Sounds like an exorbitant amount of money to spend on something you could build yourself. Also -- are you saying that you're EITHER going to use to control ferment temps OR to dispense? When you have a full keg, what are you going to do with the next batch that you want to ferment? Or are you just going to take your kegerator "offline" for 3 weeks while you ferment your next batch, then hook everything back up once the keg is full again????

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here, but I bet if you go buy this thing, you'll wind up disappointed in the next year. Googling has brought up this thread, and results from the MicroMatic forum, of other disappointed users, but no reference to any manufacturer. They seem like a crock.

If you're buying it at Home Depot anyways, what about a very small chest freezer? $199, holds 3 cornies plus a CO2 tank... or if you build a collar and put the CO2 outside, you could easily hold 2 cornies plus a lagering carboy.

Edit: Don't forget that it's almost certain to come with a Sanke tap, so add the money for gas/liquid QDs too.

I thought $360 on a brand new kegerator was actually a pretty good deal. Came with the regulators, the CO2 tank, the lines... everything. Most people here buy the $209 fridge at Best Buy and spend an additional $300+ for the kegging setup. Granted my fridge didn't come with a corny, but that only cost me $25.... the gas in and out connectors were given to me by a friend at the home brew shop.

A chest freezer would not have worked because of space concerns. I barely had room for this thing, a freezer would have been way too big.

You got it right. I don't have more than one batch going at a time, so I won't start another batch until my current batch is already gone. I just don't have enough time or money to dedicate to multiple brew sessions per month, so this will work out just fine for the time being.

Yeah, the lack of "Manufacturer" did concern me as well, but I do have a warranty on it just in case anything were to go wrong.

Did not notice CO2 + regulator included in the OP, sorry! That makes it a slightly better deal. Please disregard my prev remark. Also, I realize re: space concerns -- the specific freezer I was referring to is literally the size of the average mini-fridge.

I guess if it fits how you brew, then power to 'ya. By no means am I trying to come across as condescending, and sorry if I did.

It says something when even 10 cornies isn't "enough" for me. We each brew a little differently, that's what makes it so special :D

Well I ran my experiment again, this time with a couple of beers in the kegerator. I turned the thermostat to the coldest setting and let it sit overnight.

It got the beers down to 43/44 degrees, which is well above the advertised 36 degrees. Should I be concerned? I spoke to the Home Depot salesman and she told me I could return the fridge even without the original box.

Have any of you guys with the Sanyos tested the lowest temperature? What temperature are these fridges capable of?

Also, if I return this fridge and get a chest freezer, I already have the ranco controller, but since chest freezers have a lower temperature range, will it hurt the compressor if it constantly turns on and off if I wanted to set the temperature a little higher?

I don't know re: the Sanyo, so I'll let someone with more experience step in there.... to my knowledge a Sanyo can freeze the contents of a Corny keg if turned too low... but as far as the chest freezer....

The compressor's not going to "constantly turn on and off" because chest freezers are well-insulated, and if you open the lid, the cold doesn't "sink" out the door like on a vertically-oriented fridge. Most users with chest freezers and a Ranco controller report that the compressor only runs for ~5-10 minutes every hour.

To ensure this, make sure you don't have your trim setting set too low on the Ranco (sorry I don't know the actual name of this setting. The differential, the trip, whatever.)... allow 3-4 degrees of temp swing before the temp controller powers the freezer on.

All in all, chest freezers (even the small $200 ones) are very efficient, and a good/easy way to approach a kegerator. Many people like the added bonus of not having to drill anything permanent - that is to say, if you decide you want it to be a chest freezer again for frozen foods, you remove your wood 2x4 collar, you mount the lid hinges back in their original holes, and you unplug it from the Ranco. Voila! :)

And, yes, I'd be worried if it could only cool a couple of beers to 43-44*F at max setting. I know, that's about the optimum temperature to DRINK beer at... but it means that the compressor is/should be working overtime to get them to that point. Net result is a prematurely failed compressor.

Alright, I'm convinced.

What's a good brand for chest freezers, and do you have a good site for the build? How hard is it to build?

What size do you think I will need? It would be cool if it would fit 2 corny's when I'm kegging. And then when I'm using it as a chamber, one 6.5 gallon carboy

Wow... just watched Bobby M's kegerator conversion video, and that is a bit above what I would be able to do, considering I have no tools and limited know-how. Is there an easier way to build these?

Freezer itself:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...3&productId=100566683&N=10000003+90401+525328
or
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...3&productId=100598976&N=10000003+90401+525328
are the ones I was thinking about. Both are about 5 cu ft, and very inexpensive ($200). I *THINK* -- and I HIGHLY recommend you take cardboard cutouts of a cornie and a carboy with you to the store -- that you could fit 2 cornies and a carboy at the same time in either of these models. At MINIMUM you could store 2 cornies or a carboy, alternating.

How to build: Haven't done it yet personally, as I had a full size side-by-side fridge already in my possession. But basically it's 4 pieces of lumber screwed/glued/whatever together. Then, a 7/8" hole drilled through it (the wood) for your shank.
You might be able to get a local handyman to build the collar for you in exchange for a 6-pack of beer. It's not a difficult project for someone with the tools, maybe 30 minutes tops?
You don't have to attach it to the lid like Bobby_M did, you can also attach it to the freezer itself.

Thanks Chriso. My name is Chris Olson.... I could be Chriso too?

Anyway, I like the 5.5 size of the Magic Chef, but I just found out that Magic Chef makes the Vissani kegerator, and I currently do not have a ton of confidence behind that brand. The GE one looks nice, but I'll definitely have to see what will fit. If I have to alternate, that's fine. I wouldn't ferment my beer at the same temperature that I will be using when I serve the beer anyway.

The Magic Chef also appears out-of-stock on the site, I give a +1 to the GE. Looks like a very nice unit. :)

I am actually not an O. at all, I'm a Chris E. But all my friends started calling me Chriso about 3 years ago, and it just stuck. :) At one point, though, my nickname was Cristos Dominos. I'm still lol'ing over how I wound up with that one.

The absolute easiest way is the cheast freezer with your controller, and instead of drilling anything, just put beer lines with party taps on the end and leave them in the freezer. That way you can start kegging and spend some time looking for a friend who has the tools and knowledge to build the collar for you. It also allows you to save money and add other features as your budget allows.

This is what I will be doing.

The absolute easiest way is the cheast freezer with your controller, and instead of drilling anything, just put beer lines with party taps on the end and leave them in the freezer. That way you can start kegging and spend some time looking for a friend who has the tools and knowledge to build the collar for you. It also allows you to save money and add other features as your budget allows.

This is what I will be doing.

That's an excellent idea. I can get those party taps for cheap at the LHBS.

Thanks toddrod!!! :)

Sometimes, I'll admit, I get so caught up in the details that I forget the easier and simpler solutions. VERY excellent suggestion! Effective AND budget, AND hopefully reliable! I've always liked GE's and Frigidaire's appliances myself.

I'm guilty as well. I've been reading detailed instructions on collar building, but toddrod's solution will be absolutely perfect for the time being.

Gotta love Home Depot... Took the kegerator back today, with no box, and they said "No problem, do you have your receipt?" After giving them the receipt, I had my money refunded in seconds. I didn't even have to explain why I was returning it (but I did anyway). Absolutely pain free.

The only chest freezer they had in the store was the Magic Chef. At first, it didn't look like a 6.5 gallon carboy would fit in the 5.5 cubic foot freezer, but after I took measurements, I realize that it would fit just fine. It looks like the fridge would fit 2 cornies and a 5 lb CO2 tank, or one carboy and 1 corny, but definitely not 2 cornies and a carboy, unless I get a 2x8 collar and set one of the cornies on the hump.

Anyway, this will be my last post for 2 weeks. I'm going on my yearly fishing/camping trip. Take care guys.

People who don't know about kegerators shouldn't post replys.

HD Vissani is a cheap beer Keg cooler $299 for all people who have one or is thinking on buying one .Open the stat .On the right side of the stat it's a screw turn the screw 1.5 turns to the left.In(This stat can be adjusted to what ever you want it to be) one hour you will have Ice Cold beer for $300 less than the cost of most Kegerators.

(ps Turn your CO2 down to 10-12 Psi)

I bought the same unit. I had the same problem. I called the tech support and they emailed me a tech manual. It was written by a tech and is very easy to alter the fridge's temp. please feel free to contact me if you would like the manual.

I just bought this Kegerator from Home Depot for $224 - NEW. It works great. Minimum temperature I got is 31F and the keg fits in with no problem. You cannot get any better deal anywhere.

I just bought this Kegerator from Home Depot for $224 - NEW. It works great. Minimum temperature I got is 31F and the keg fits in with no problem. You cannot get any better deal anywhere.

Sounds great. Any idea if it will fit 3 ball-lock cornies and a 5lb CO2 bottle?

I paid 150$ for the same unit brand new at Home depot last summer:ban:

Sounds great. Any idea if it will fit 3 ball-lock cornies and a 5lb CO2 bottle?

I can fit two inside the CO2 tank is mounted outside the unit and the hose is snaked threw the back.

HD is holding one for me for $112.01. I found on another thread here that it will fit 2 cornys, not 3, but for that price I cannot pass it up. I will probably order a two-faucet tower with Perlicks, and set up a fan to cool the tower.

I am currently using a 14.8 cu ft chest freezer in my basement with picnic taps. I will now be able to put the new unit on the main floor, and start using my freezer as a fermentation chamber. I am psyched.

I only wish that I had bought a dual-stage temp controller, rather than the Love that I use that will do cooling or heating, but not at the same time. Well, I can always use the current Love for the Vassani, if it needs it.

Latest posts

Back