American IPA My 2-time gold winning American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a siphon with a filtering tube attached to it. Hmm...do you think that was it? Lots seemed to get left behind.....but maybe not quite enough!

I am so new to brewing....any advice will be most gratefully received!! :)

As long as the filter is on the intake and not the output, you did it right.

The only other way to handle it would be to put the hops in a loose bag with some boiled glass marbles or stainless ball bearings.

My limitation is my boil volume – I only have a 21litre (5.5gallons) pot so I can safely only boil about 18/19litres (4.8/5gallons). Not totally sure how to calculate how much to mash/sparge etc based on the grain bill from this recipe.

I've never done a partial boil, but Coppers situation has me wondering - If you mash at full volume; say 6 gallons, why couldn't you boil 4 or 4 1/2 gallons and keep the rest in reserve for topping up later instead of water? For sanitary purposes you could boil the remaining 1 1/2 to 2 gallons for 5 or 10 minutes while the initial batch is cooling, then throw it all together in the primary. The reasons he can't do a full boil on a 5 gallon batch are the same reasons I can't do a full boil on a 10 gallon batch - my mash tun will hold the volume, but not my brew kettle. My fear is the hop flavors would be affected by the smaller volume of liquid they are being infused into.

Brewing this up tomorrow. Will be my 2nd go at it. First one came out amazing so I'm looking forward to it. Results to follow.

I will be brewing this next Sunday, why when I put the recipe into BeerSmith do I get a 1.072 OG at 70% efficiency and 5 gallons? Is this recipe supposed to be 5.5 gallons? I get 1.065 then..?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.10 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.30 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 7.3 SRM
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.0 %
12.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3 5.3 %
12.0 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.3 %
4.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 5 1.8 %

Kegged mine last night. Infected. Smells and tastes like it was heavily exposed to oxygen but it wasn't. I left for work for a week and came back and it had bubbled out of the airlock and dried up all over the lid. I used California ale yeast. I've never used this yeast before. My mind is boggled. I will try again with American 1056. Or maybe ow off tube. I know I sanitized the crap out of it. I did keg it in a new keg that had a weird smell though. I rinsed it twice then sanitized it. I don't know. I'm at a loss.

Is the current recipe on page 1? Any recommened changes? Going to scale this down for a 1 gallon brew! Looks delicious.

I will be brewing this next Sunday, why when I put the recipe into BeerSmith do I get a 1.072 OG at 70% efficiency and 5 gallons? Is this recipe supposed to be 5.5 gallons? I get 1.065 then..?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.10 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.30 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 7.3 SRM
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.0 %
12.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3 5.3 %
12.0 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.3 %
4.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 5 1.8 %

I have the same issues here, however I entered the recipe into ProMash and got 1.078. How in the world are some of these people hitting an OG of under 1.060?

How did your OG turn out?

I have the same issues here, however I entered the recipe into ProMash and got 1.078. How in the world are some of these people hitting an OG of under 1.060?

I will let you kno this weekend, i will be brewing it saturday. I figure a couple points either way wont matter much as I have enough hops to compensate, though i agree i dont know how sone are coming in so low.

I ended up with a 1.055 OG. I think it is something I'm doing wrong with my mash. Or my set up has really bad efficiency. I am thinking of trying to compensate with a bit more grain and batch sparging. I usually fly sparge which I thought was more efficient. I just got beer smith so I will hopefully be able to fine tune things and fix some problems. Any advice though would be appreciated.

It is funny you say this, because that is the exact OG i had! I also didn't have Beersmith at the time, then i trialled it. When i put in this recipe, it gace me a really bad efficiency which i didn't really understand! I would be interested to find what others got.

By the way, my original post mentioned the slightly sour/bitter flavour. It mellowed out very nicely....give it at least 3 weeks in the bottle!!

:) my fave brew - i even dreamed the other night that my partner was finishing the last of it and i was really mad with him!!!! Jeez, it is too hot to brew here in SA at the moment, but this one will be the 1st when it cools a bit!!! :)

All my numbers came out perfectly as Beersmith calculated them!

It is funny you say this, because that is the exact OG i had! I also didn't have Beersmith at the time, then i trialled it. When i put in this recipe, it gace me a really bad efficiency which i didn't really understand! I would be interested to find what others got.

By the way, my original post mentioned the slightly sour/bitter flavour. It mellowed out very nicely....give it at least 3 weeks in the bottle!!

:) my fave brew - i even dreamed the other night that my partner was finishing the last of it and i was really mad with him!!!! Jeez, it is too hot to brew here in SA at the moment, but this one will be the 1st when it cools a bit!!! :)

Ha! Mine ended up with 1.055. It was my first all grain and recorded a 68% efficiency. Beersmith had my starting efficiency at something around 75 or 80%. Either way, the 1.055 is within the style guidelines so it should turn out fine.

Beer smith is Giving me 85 IBUs. And i went on the lower end of MoreBeers Chinook and Cascade AA% ranges since i havent bought those hops yet. Is this right? Should i Adjust down to 65 IBUs or keep original recipe. Please help. Brewing this tommorow

Beer smith is Giving me 85 IBUs. And i went on the lower end of MoreBeers Chinook and Cascade AA% ranges since i havent bought those hops yet. Is this right? Should i Adjust down to 65 IBUs or keep original recipe. Please help. Brewing this tommorow

what i did was used the ibu scaler in beersmith to get it to 65 though i havent tried the beer yet so well see how it is...i think the more water you use effects your ibu utilization if im not mistaken

Once you know you're preboil gravity, adjust your hopping schedule to get the IBUs you're looking for. There are online calculators to help you figure out your numbers, such as brewheads.com

I brewed this yesterday and didn't use hops bags in the boil. I attempted a whirlpool with my spoon (although I've never got it to work) and let it settle for at least 30 minutes. I ended up with over a gallon of sludge in the bottom. I ended putting a lot of it in the fermenter. Ended up with over half a gallons of hops/trub in the bottom of the primary and about 4.75 gallons in the primary. Anybody else have this problem?

I always used to have this problem, and still do on occasion. It's really nothing to be too concerned with. I've done tests with lots of trub vs. no trub in the fermenter and I couldn't tell the difference. I now whirlpool with a pump. It is the only way I've really ever done a successful whirlpool.

I used to filter through a big stainless mesh basket but it was a huge pain. Now I usually put a 5-gallon paint bag in the buckets, dump in the wort, and pull out the bag.

It doesn't get any easier than that (unless you just leave it in, which is fine too!)

Fun to see this thread still going some 4.5 years later. I haven't made this in over 3 years. After making nothing but American ales for a few years i moved on to making German lagers and Belgian ales. I'm thinking I need to put this back in the rotation.

Drinking one right now, still awesome after 3 months. Will need to get this in rotation ASAP.

Just took my first sample when dry hopping. Brewed this 13 days ago, ended up at 7.1% ABV, almost perfect numbers, just slightly off from a little less boil off than anticipated. Absolutely amazing. Slightly sweet with an amazing hop burst taste, and decent non overbearing bitterness. Great recipe, and it still has a week to go before bottling!

Prost! :mug:

enohcs said:
Mash at 154 for 60min. I had 70%eff
American Rahr (2 row) Pale: 11.50lbs
American Briess Crystal 20 1.00lbs
American Briess Light Munich 0.75lbs
American Briess Carapils 0.75lbs
American Briess Torrified Wheat 0.25lbs

Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 30min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 30min
Williamette (Pellet) 0.5oz 15min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 15min
Williamette (Pellet) 1oz 5min
Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary

Don't worry about the lack of a 60minute hop addition. The bitterness is spot on.

This IPA won gold in the IBU challenge at the IBU Open in Iowa earlier this year and gold at 8 Seconds of Froth a few months ago.

If you brew, let me know what you think.

Sounds great! This is a 5 gallon recipe?

Yes, 5 gallon. Remember to not just open this on your mobile app. If you open the browser, it shows all the actual statistics.

Brewing my second batch today. I brewed the first batch as per protocol and it was awsom. I hope the second is as good.

Kegged up my second batch. It's delicious. FG came in at 1.010 so I got about 5% ABV. Not bad. Will be making this in the future for sure.

I brewed this a few weeks ago. It turned out awful! Do Not Brew!!!

Jk. It turned out great. Brew away. Thumbs up on this one

Brewed this tonight. Boil got away from me. Ended up with 4.5gal of wort. Ended up with an OG of 1.082. Pitched onto a yeast cake from a previous batch using WLP 001.

Should I compensate with extra dry hops to compensate the higher gravity? Any thoughts would be much obliged.

Brewed this tonight. Boil got away from me. Ended up with 4.5gal of wort. Ended up with an OG of 1.082. Pitched onto a yeast cake from a previous batch using WLP 001.

Should I compensate with extra dry hops to compensate the higher gravity? Any thoughts would be much obliged.

This beer is pretty forgiving, if theres lower ibu it wil be good if there is higher ibu it would be good. I say just leave it as the bitterness isnt going to go up regardless anymore since the boil is done. Adding hops now will just add flover and aroma, mostly aroma.

Man, I kinda screwed the pooch on this one tonight. It just goes to show you that rushing=\= results. Mash went perfectly, run offs looked good, and my preboil gravity was bang on.

I went to transfer it to the Carboy and ended up with almost 6gal of wort at only 1.059. What the hell? How does that happen? Well, when your idiot self is used to doing 60 minute boils and doesn't realize that beer smith calls for 90, your og and volume will be way off.

I hope it comes out okay, but I think regardless, this one is going to get a re-do soon.

I just did the same thing. I swear it said 60 minute boil. O.G. is 1.064 with an extra half gallon. Oh well. That's what I get for inebriated planning.

Back