Yeast 6 months past expiration!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeus

Reaction score
I made a Scottish 80/- 3 days ago. Pitched my yeast at 74 degrees. At 48 hours and no activity I checked the White Labs vial and, to my horror, discovered that the "Use Best By" date was 6 months ago!

Has anyone had luck using yeast that far after the best by date, or should I grit my teeth and repitch?

ooh...it'll probably go, but i personally would get another vial. did you just buy it? if so, take the vial to your LHBS and demand a new replacement.

I would also ALWAYS make a starter ;)

Might be some viable yeast, but if so it's going to take a long time to get going. If it's not fermenting by the 96hr point, I'd recommend re-pitching.

First question is: Why didn't you make a starter??? When making a starter you should add 1 day per month past expiration date to make sure your yeast is viable.

I've used yeast that's been expired over a year without any problems. As long as it was stored properly I wouldn't worry about it. You'll just have a longer lag time.

To reduce "lag time" (defined as: the time between pitching your yeast and activity in the airlock, so to speak) in the future make the starter several days prior to brewing then you know your yeast is good. You are now in the lag time phase...all you can do is wait...(if you made a starter you'd be making berr now...;) )

I recently discovered a pack of Wyeast Danish Lager yeast in my chest cooler that was 15 months old. I smacked it not expecting much and nothing much DID happen for a few days. By day 4, it began blowing up nicely though and I made a starter from it and the resulting Dortmunder I made was pretty tasty.

The yeast will probably go ... its going to curse your ass for not making a starter and you are putting pressure on it that no yeast deserve.

But yeast are nice that way.

Lesson learned, make a starter. Never have had a problem w/o one before. Ah well, I'll wait another 24 hours and see what happens.

Back