Confusion about Yield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senfo

Reaction score
I've been wanting to brew a winter ale with Marris Otter. I've never actually brewed with this malt, so I don't know much about it. I typically would use a 2-row, but thought I'd change it up. I was reading the wiki page on Marris Otter and it states, "its yield has been surpassed hugely by more modern varieties, so it has to be grown on contract for the maltster each year by selected farmers."

According to the malt chart and assuming I'm reading the information as its meant to be read, 2-row (as I understand to be the most popular base malt) has a potential yield of 77.9%, while Marris Otter has a potential yield of 82.2%.

Am I misunderstanding the information? It sounds like Marris Otter has a higher yield potential than the standard 2-row.

I think they're referring to how much barley you can grow per acre as the "yield"

Only in comparison with 2 row, meaning that there are other malts out there that can out yield a Marris Otter crop. The brewing industry isn't the sole industry that depends on a decent amount of barley grains.

I wonder how six row would measure up. :)

Only in comparison with 2 row, meaning that there are other malts out there that can out yield a Marris Otter crop. The brewing industry isn't the sole industry that depends on a decent amount of barley grains.

I wonder how six row would measure up. :)

So, I have absolutely no idea if I'm reading this right (probably not), but Marris Otter is actually one of the higher yields, surpassed only by a few wheat malts (assuming I didn't miss any when skimming through).

Back