Cleaning a grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
I just got done with my first all-grain batch that I milled myself. My question now is what should I do with the grain mill? Should I clean it with soap and water or would that perhaps lead to oxidation issues? This is a cheap corona mill so that's why I worry.

For now I just put it back in the box. What should I do?

Thanks!

Just remove the hopper, get a stiff bristle brush, and brush off any grain/flour. Avoid soap and water...especially if it's not stainless steel.

Edit: looks like you've got two posts going on

No need to use any kind of liquids. I use a shop vac as well. Just keep them relatively clean and that's all you need to do.

You could try doing what I do....nothing. A little grain dust wont hurt anything IMHO. If it makes you feel better dust it off with a clean brush...all kidding aside I do this occasionally.

Keep it in a dry place if possible to avoid rust....don't worry, unless you leave it out in the rain...I doubt you can damage a corona.

You could try doing what I do....nothing. A little grain dust wont hurt anything IMHO. If it makes you feel better dust it off with a clean brush...all kidding aside I do this occasionally.

Keep it in a dry place if possible to avoid rust....don't worry, unless you leave it out in the rain...I doubt you can damage a corona.

Just what I wanted to hear. Less work is always good with me.

I just use my air compressor to blow all the dust out. You can mill some rice to clean it out too

Back