Lack of carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yimmyyames

Reaction score
Question about my second brew (my first ended up contaminated): After 4 weeks in the fermentor and another two in the bottle, I finally got to take my first taste of my Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone brewed from an extract kit. My first impression was that the taste was very good but it really seemed to lack carbonation. There was virtually no head when I poured it and it was lacking the carbonation when I was drinking it. The question I ask is will this improve over time? If I let it sit longer will there be more carbonation? If the answer is no, perhaps you could offer suggestion on what I did wrong to prevent it from happening in the future.

Thanks as always!

Assuming that you primed with the correct amount of sugar, the only answer is to wait.

A typical gravity beer takes about three weeks to carb up when stored at 70 degrees. If temps are cooler or gravity is higher, it can take longer - sometimes, much longer.

Note that once this timeframe is met, you'll get best results by putting the beer in the fridge for at least a couple of days (if not longer) prior to opening it (more CO2 dissolved in the beer due to temp = better carbonation and more head retention).

The beer WILL carb, but you have to be patient.

Back