My beer is fermenting. Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman

Reaction score
I brewed my 2nd batch of beer yesterday. It has now been approx. 24 hours since pitching my yeast. I am using a 5 gallon carboy and setup a blowoff system for the beer, and no luck of anything blowning off. There is a little bit of foam that are producing some bubbles. I then attached my airlock on the carboy since there doesn't seem to be a problem with overflow. Even now there is no co2 being released.

I am brewing a 5 gallon clone of Sierra Nevada. The current temp of my wort is approx. 65 degrees. I pitched liquid wyeast 1272 that says it should be a rapid fermintation going on after 24 hours. I don't know if I should pitch more or just wait it out? I could really use some advise. Thanks for the help! Duffman

duffman said:
I brewed my 2nd batch of beer yesterday. It has now been approx. 24 hours since pitching my yeast. I am using a 5 gallon carboy and setup a blowoff system for the beer, and no luck of anything blowning off. There is a little bit of foam that are producing some bubbles. I then attached my airlock on the carboy since there doesn't seem to be a problem with overflow. Even now there is no co2 being released.

I am brewing a 5 gallon clone of Sierra Nevada. The current temp of my wort is approx. 65 degrees. I pitched liquid wyeast 1272 that says it should be a rapid fermintation going on after 24 hours. I don't know if I should pitch more or just wait it out? I could really use some advise. Thanks for the help! Duffman

Sometimes those buckets lids dont seal well so the co2 escapes from the lid rather than through the airlock. try pressing down on the edges and watch to see if your airlock bubbles at all. if it does, no worries. if it doesn't.. you might want to wait a day or two. Sometimes fermentations take off slow.

I moved it to a warmer place. My carboy is pretty well sealed off I will let you know what happens. Duffman

I mentioned this in another thread some time back, but if your lid doesn't seal (very low amount of bubbles in your airlock and obvious activity in the primary) then wrap that lid to the bucket using saran wrap. It'll seal it for you if you pull snugly. :D

I moved my 5 gallon glass carboy to a warmer place. There is ocasionally a bubble that pops in the airlock. I would say approx. 4 bubbles per minute. Is this okay? Should I continue to raise the temperature untell it is really going? Thanks Duffman.

everything above is excellent advice, one thing i'd add-if my airlocks not going within 24-36 hours i sometimes shake up the fermenter a little bit. just enough to get the yeast re-suspended, often this will get the fermentation going.

I stoped warming my carboy. I also agitated my carboy and WOW did it ever take off! :) I needed to reattach my blowoff system. The nice thing was that all the gunk and leftover stuff that was around the neck of the carboy slipped down to the bottom. I hope it was okay to shake the carboy so much, but it for sure now is fermenting. Thanks for all the help... now I can relax and have a brew! Duffman

Latest posts

Back