Cleaning Better Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
Do these things scratch like plastic buckets can? SHould I wrap the carboy brush with some sort of cloth or something? All you with better bottles what do you guys do to scrub them?
I know one guy mentioned putting oxy clean and leaving it sit for the day, I assume something like that is fine as long as you rinse good afterwards so you dont ruin head retention.

DO NOT USE A CARBOY BRUSH. Yes they can scratch like a bucket.Just use a washcloth. Toss it in there with some cleaner and water and shake the hell out of it concentrating on the area's that may have gunk on them.

AleHole said:
DO NOT USE A CARBOY BRUSH. Yes they can scratch like a bucket.Just use a washcloth. Toss it in there with some cleaner and water and shake the hell out of it concentrating on the area's that may have gunk on them.

You did the oxy clean thing right? After rinsing well it was ok and good to go the next time?

Yes. Oxi-Clean is the ****. You will see there are lots of people that use it on here. If you let the solution marinate in your BB overnight chances are you will not have to scrub at all. The stuff also rinses very clean. Just fill it up about 1/4 full and shake . Do this 4-5 times and then drip dry. No worries.

AleHole said:
Yes. Oxi-Clean is the ****. You will see there are lots of people that use it on here. If you let the solution marinate in your BB overnight chances are you will not have to scrub at all. The stuff also rinses very clean. Just fill it up about 1/4 full and shake . Do this 4-5 times and then drip dry. No worries.

cool thanks man, how strong you making the stuff? Going by the directions or what?

AleHole said:
I use 1 scoop. Seems to work ok for me. Hope this helps:mug:

sure does...this place is great should make my first time brewing this weekend go smooth...I Hope( as long as I dont drink to much before hand):cross:

I soaked a BB for a week and still had gunk inside. I then tried the rag trick to no avail. No more BB's for primary for me!!! Keep the glass with the extra headspace for primaries and BB's become dedicated secondaries.

A place for everything and everything in its place. I sit on the fence, I walk the line on this debate. Which is better? BB's? Or Glass? I think the answer is: Both.

If I had to do it again, I'd cut the bristles off a carboy cleaner and wrap a sponge around it.. in fact... I might just do that today.... I do wish I could use BB's for primary, but man, sometimes the stuff will not come off.

Right now I have an infected british ale in primary. Tastes like ass and it's in a better bottle. The one I couldn't get clean. Never again.

Back