Rhubarb Cyser Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lthursdayl

Reaction score
Has anyone made a rhubarb cyser? If so I have a few questions. How much rhubarb per gallon? And how to add the rhubarb to the cider? Should it be boiled and mashed or just mashed? Also if I am using fresh rhubarb should I add campden to the mix? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have never added fruit/vegetable into the mix so I need general advice on adding and sanitation. I have only been making ciders, but my CSA has a bunch of rhubarb and I want to give this a try.

I haven't made a cyser, but I have made a rhubarb soda; I got a good solid flavor with 2 pounds rhubarb boiled in water for ~1/2 hour, then straining out the pulp. I don't think I'd mash the rhubarb.

This will produce a thick, tart, pink, and cloudy liquid. AFAIK, there isn't any pectin in rhubarb so I'm not sure if it's possible to clarify if you want a clear cyser. I'd add that whenever you plan to add the fruit. My preference for adding fruit is to add it after primary fermentation has finished.

If you want to see my soda recipe check here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10416941@N03/3725281659/

Back