Hop Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
I was thinking about you guys that dry hop and need to put a screen (panty-hose) over your syphon tube and I got to wondering...do you do this from a carboy?

Reason is I have an idea and the restriction is the inner diameter of the jug.

How about attaching one of these inside the net you use? It would give you more area to syphon...it is a hair curler. You just need to stick it/hold it in place with whatever you use to attach the net you use.

My canes are larger than the opening here, but I'm just suggesting an idea...;)

P1290834.JPG

P1290835.JPG

P1290836.JPG

I haven't dry hopped, but it looks like a good idea. You could always bore out the middle for larger racking canes.

i am about to dry a apa. i heard using a bag is the way to go??? not really sure. i am also going to try step hopping? should be interesting. if i use the bags would that minimize the need for the panty hose around the cane?

I found these baseball size stainless steel tea balls that I've been using. I can fit about 2 oz of leaf hops into them. I just boil them and then fill them with hops and stick them into the Cornie Keg. I found them at a Chantal sale a year ago.

I use stainless steel scrubbies (Kitchen scrubbers without the soap!) a lot and find the make a wonderful filter for this kind of thing. But if the pantyhose is working, why change?

I don;t know. I used to worry about it, but now I have eveyone convinced that if they find a green piece of hops floating in their beer, they should consider themselves lucky.

but thats a great idea HB

I don't mind a cloudy homebrew either. I just hate the clogging of my Cornie when I use loose whole hop leafs in it

ChillyP said:
I don't mind a cloudy homebrew either. I just hate the clogging of my Cornie when I use loose whole hop leafs in it

Ahh yea, didn;t even think about the clogging...duh

Ive always dry hopped with pellets

ChillyP there are fine mesh screens that you can put over the end of the tube. I have one that I use for my berry ciders, because filtering wrecks them.

Latest posts

Back