Oats and head retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minduim

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a bit puzzled here, I've done some research and found both people saying that oats improve head retention and people saying that oats reduces head retention. So, what is the truth about oats and head retention? :confused:

I've added 5.9% flaked oats to my SMaSH Ale, would this be considered proper proportion?

I don't know about oats, but Carpils definitely improves head retention. I started adding it to my pale ale and every glass has an inch of foam that coats the glass and sticks around to the last swallow.

Tom

dextrin malt is used for head retention. oats are an adjunct used for mouthfeel and head retention. im not sure adding oats to a smash makes it a smash any longer. what are you using the oats for?? if youre using them strictly for head retention, might i consider flaked wheat or carapils (dextrin malt) instead. both of these work better than the oats for head retention. generally you dont find oats in too many recipes, except for say a belgin wit, or oatmeal stout.

Back