taste bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjsweeney

Reaction score
i have a stout that has been fermenting for four days and i wanted to see what the gravity was so i checked it and all is good . so i tried it to see how its going and it was really bad . and it smells like crap to. is this norm our what?

Wait another six weeks. It gets better.

Some of the intermediary fermentation products are ugly.

What a beer tastes and smells like after 4 days has virtually nothing to do with how the finished product will taste and smell. The yeast is still hard at work, and the flavors are still blending together.

Yeah mine is 6 days old and my FG is right on but it doesnt taste to hot. This is good to know, it can only go uphill from here.

I agree with Ooompa Loompa and the others who responded. I don't even bother taste testing my batches when I pull a sample. I wait until I crack the first bottle to try it, at least 2 months after brewing. By then, it is plenty tasty.

Taking samples is still handy for the new brewer, as it gives you an idea how the beer will change, and know what to expect.

Darker beers seem to make some unpleasant off-flavors during early fermentation, depending on the yeast strain. But those flavors will all disappear.

Basically, just worry about not aerating when your not supposed to. And keep everything super clean.

nick

Back