Ohiobrewtus gave me EF- and I liked it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a chance to try Ohiobrewtus' EF clone, and it was really great!

Here are my notes:

First, it was overcarbed quite a bit. This was not an issue, as I just poured it and let it settle. I think he told me he was concerned it would lose carbonation in transit (bottled from a keg) so he added a carb tab. It poured with a big tan head but then faded nicely, and left wonderful lacing on the glass. This beer was dark- very dark, with a nice tan head on it. It was very attractive!

Aroma: The first "smell" I get is of roastiness and then some raisin notes. Very balanced aroma- it just smells so good!

Taste: Oh, this was very good. The raisin notes came through, and there was a perfect balance of a hint of chocolate and mild coffee-like roastiness. This beer was full bodied, rich, and flavorful. No real hop flavor noted, no esters, or diacetyl. I really liked this beer!

Mouthfeel: Rich, and almost creamy. Wonderful!

Now, I told Ohiobrewtus that I've had the real Edmund Fitzgerald, and I noticed some differences, so I wouldn't say this is a clone. It's better, actually! The full body works in this beer, as well as a hint of roastiness. I think EF is thinner bodied, without the deep flavor notes and without the roastiness. When we go to the NHBC, I plan on trying his side by side with the "real" EF to see if I'm right.

Thank you, OB, for the chance to try this wonderful beer. It's really a good one!

I knew you'd like the EF, Yoop. :D

Thanks again for the thorough review. I'm flattered that you think it's better than the original.

I just bottled up another 5 gallons of it this morning, have another 5 gallons waiting for an open tap and I'm already planning the next time I'm going to brew it.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

:p
YooperBrew said:
Is that why you insisted on giving it to me? You knew I would like it, if I tried it? ;)

Oh, and by the way, I'm really looking forward to getting it again!

Ah yes. The ladies just can't get enough of my EF. :p

YooperBrew said:
I got a chance to try Ohiobrewtus' EF, and it was really great!

...a big tan head but then faded nicely... was dark- very dark...It was very attractive...The first "smell" I get is of roastiness and then some raisin notes. Very balanced- it just smells so good...Oh, this was very good...there was a perfect balance...This...was full bodied...I really liked this!

Rich, and almost creamy. Wonderful!

Now, I told Ohiobrewtus that I've had the real Edmund Fitzgerald, and I noticed some differences, so I wouldn't say this is a clone. It's better, actually! I think EF is thinner bodied...When we go to the NHBC, I plan on trying his side by side with the "real" EF to see if I'm right.

Thank you, OB, for the chance to try this. It's really a good one!

Now with more cryptic references! :D

I'm concerned about the overcarbonation that you both experienced. Hopefully that was due to my buddy's bottling folly since he took 5 gallons and bottled it on his own.

The Hopacles that I sent both of you was from a keg and had carb tabs added, not the EF. It's odd that the EF was so overcarbed for both of you since I drank the other 4 from the same 6'er and they were normal.

Keeping this in mind, I dropped the amount of priming sugar this morning when I bottled another batch of this. Hopefully this will take care of the carbonation issue. I don't need to send this to competitions and have judges laughing uncontrollably at my beer due to the carbonation level.

I'll be bringing a keg of this to NHC, so anyone who is attending will be able to have a pint or two.

I wasn't sure how many got to witness Yoop's oh so elegant EF references since this thread was late on Sunday night, so bumpity bump.

Let the harassment begin.

Back