Problems after mushrooms in soil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruinarion

Reaction score
It's been insanely hot and humid in my area. A few weeks ago mushrooms started popping up the soil of the potter. I pulled all the mushrooms out and none have popped up since then but a bunch of the leaves turned yellow and fell off. The shoots I had trained stopped growing.

I pretty much figured the mushrooms killed the plant off. But now a bunch of runners have started popping out of everywhere. These runners are now growing around the trained runners that had stopped growing.

attachment.php

I am a little concerned though because some holes are starting to appear in some of the leaves. There are no bugs on the leaves that I can see and I don't ever see anything flying around them.

attachment.php

Is there anything I can or should do? Is it best to just wait this out?

Vine.jpg

Leaf.jpg

I also have several mushrooms growing on top of the mulch that started off as powdery spores. Initially I thought it was powdery mildew but it turned out to be full-blown mushrooms. I haven't seen any adverse effect on my hops yet though. Good luck!

I'm not too sure where the mushrooms came from. There is a pine tree about 10 ft away from the side of the deck where my planter is. The pollen from the tree powder coated everything on my deck. I did my best to wash it off my plants with a water bottle sprayer. Maybe the mushroom spores were mixed in with the pollen but I just don't know.

Do you have snails/slugs in your area?

I found that all of my bug problems relating to holes in leaves were due to snails/slugs that come out at night, eat, then go hide in the shade by the time the sun comes out.

Try going out with a flashlight and look at your plants late at night a few hours after the sun has gone down, like 11pm-Midnight. I bet you find slugs/snails.

Do you have snails/slugs in your area?

I found that all of my bug problems relating to holes in leaves were due to snails/slugs that come out at night, eat, then go hide in the shade by the time the sun comes out.

Try going out with a flashlight and look at your plants late at night a few hours after the sun has gone down, like 11pm-Midnight. I bet you find slugs/snails.

I might try that too! I don't have an issue with a few holes in my leaves as long as the hop cones grow properly. So far they do!

I checked a couple of times last night and didn't see any slugs. Would slugs or snails make it up to a second story balcony?

ruinarion - The mushrooms are not causing your problems. They sprouted from pre-existing mycelium in the ground, and only emerged due to the shift in weather conditions. Your plants stopped growing due to some combination of water stress and high temperatures, not due to mushrooms.

OK, so it just happens that the two occurred about the same time which made me think they were related.

What is the best way to water hops in this type of weather? I have been adding water until the soil was damp but not too wet. I would then wait until it seemed like it was dry before I added more. We are having another week in the mid 90s with at least 80% humidity. I can't tell if the humidity is making me water less than I should or if it is just reducing the amount of evaporation so I am no needing to water as much as I did last year.

Back