Tri Tip Roast Roast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magic8Ball

Reaction score
I was just introduced to the tri tip cut earlier this year. Its hard cut of meat to find here, but I just scored a 5 lbs roast. I have had Santa Rose style tri tip steaks before but I have never smoked a roast like this. Anyone have an opinion on best cooking method / killer recipe? Would this benefit from a week of dry aging/marinade/just S&P?

M8B

It's a great cut. Tasty and forgiving. I haven't found a bad way to make it yet.

One of the things I really like about tri-tip is that because of the different size of the various parts of the meat, if you cook the thickest part to ~135, you can feed a crowd that prefers their meat to be cooked to different levels - medium rare, medium, and past-medium all from the same cut of meat.

I do something similar to this, but just use garlic powder instead of garlic salt (garlic salt and soy sauce is too much sodium for my tastes)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bbq-with-bobby-flay/6-hour-tri-tip-marinade-recipe/index.html

Thanks for the feedback az IPA and TyT. I went threw Food Network's recipes but didn't see that one. I agree with you on the sodium level in the marinade. Appreciate the advice. Time to get ready for a Smokin Brew Friday! Whooooot

I usually just rub them down with a mixture of salt, pepper, granulated onion and garlic, maybe a bit of chili powder, then put on the smoker at 225 for 1-2 hours depending on weight for an IT of 130. Comes out great every time!

:mug:

I did the modified marinade and it was a hit with everyone. I let it go too far, I hit an IT of 140 on the center section. The Marinade was good and saved the roast from being dried out. I just need to keep an eye on the IT next time. As AZ IPA said the "tips" cook faster, the larger middle goes slower. Something for everyone. A simple steak rub like Headbanger suggested will be my next cook with the Tri Tip. Thanks again, M8B

I like to rub mine with fresh cracked pepper, kosher salt, a little thyme and rosemary. I put it over oak smoke in my propane vertical at about 275 or so degrees and take it to an IT of 135 to 140 then remove, foil and rest it for at least 15 minutes. The resting is by far the most important step. Then slice it across the grain (a tri tip will have three different grain directions). Love those tri tips!

I just tried this method out tonight and it was fantastic. Tri Tip tastes like rib roast but less fat. Fantastic.
When I cook mine, I rub it with olive oil, then pat on fresh ground pepper, sea salt, and minced garlic. I then toss it on the grill at 700 degrees for about a minute each side to sear. I will then pull it off to rest for 15-20 minutes while the grill cools down to about 400 degrees where I will put it back on for about 15-20 minutes turning a few times till the Thermapen reads between 135 and 137 degrees.

Pull it off the grill and let it rest for about 5-10 minutes before slicing across the grain and serving on fresh Kaiser Rolls with horseradish sauce. Mmmm. Good.

Back