harvested yeast that sat in fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottab

Reaction score
I harvested yeast white labs wpl001 4th generation and had it in my fridge for about 1 month to maybe 2 months. I opened the jar and it smelled almost meaty. I figured the smell was due to the yeast beginning to break down and whatever trub that didn't get washed out also breaking down. I decided to make a starter to see if it was viable and to harvest fresh yeast before i brew my next batch. I can't tell if there has been any activity and was thinking i would take a gravity reading to confirm. Is it possible that a 1l starter fermented out in less than 24 hours? With all said would you use this starter in a new batch of wort?

Take your gravity reading for sure.
If the gravity looks good and the starter smells nice and yeasty, I'd have no problem using it.
If you do indeed have viable yeast that you've awakened, they will happily consume their fallen, meaty-smelling brethren. :D
You may want to do a second stage to ensure your cell counts are where they need to be based on starting gravity of your beer, etc.

Take your gravity reading for sure.
If the gravity looks good and the starter smells nice and yeasty, I'd have no problem using it.
If you do indeed have viable yeast that you've awakened, they will happily consume their fallen, meaty-smelling brethren. :D
You may want to do a second stage to ensure your cell counts are where they need to be based on starting gravity of your beer, etc.

I was def thinking a second stage starter since i'm going to be brewing a falconer's flight.

Back