OG 1069 down to 1004..is it possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone..I previously made a post about a BGSA i am about to brew...Im shooting for a 1069 OG and want to ferment it down to 1004 to give me an abv of around 8.5 and a dry beer..I will be dosing with dextrose during fermentation..Is this even possible in a homebrew setting to achieve that much attenuation?..I never got that much attenuation before ..what do you all thing?[/QUOTE]

What's the recipe? I guess it's possible to get a super dry beer like that with the right yeast, some sugar additions and if all grain a really low and long mash.

What's the recipe? I guess it's possible to get a super dry beer like that with the right yeast, some sugar additions and if all grain a really low and long mash.

11lbs castle pilsner
18oz dextrose
1.5 oz styrian goldings
1oz saaz
1oz saaz
WY 1388
yeast nutrient

infusion mash 148*F 90 mins
90 min boil
1 lb dextrose at high krausen

11lbs castle pilsner
18oz dextrose
1.5 oz styrian goldings
1oz saaz
1oz saaz
WY 1388
yeast nutrient

infusion mash 148*F 90 mins
90 min boil
1 lb dextrose at high krausen

also 3-4L starter pitching at 62*F raising up to 80 over 7 days
cold crash for 3 weeks at 33*F
bottle conditioning warm 85*F for 3 weeks
bottle conditioning cold for 6 weeks 40*F
thats pretty much what i have planned

I just took a Duvel Clone down from 1.070 to 1.006. Mashed low, and used a little over 20% plain sugar, with yeast harvested from Duvel bottles.

It's possible, but you may want to look into staggered yeast/nutrient/enzyme/oxygen additions to push things along. Or you could sub malt (appx 75% fermentable) for honey/sugar (nearly 100% fermentable).

It's hard to predict FG but if you do everything on point to what you laid out I think at the very least you should get pretty close. Good luck, sounds tasty.

I just took a Duvel Clone down from 1.070 to 1.006. Mashed low, and used a little over 20% plain sugar, with yeast harvested from Duvel bottles.

Oh nice!! yeah that exactly what i want to do except 2 points lower...Im also gonna culture duvel yeast and add it at bottling ..hows the color on your brew? i find it hard to get the golden yellow color.. always get a little darker gold

Why would you raise the temp to over 80 during fermentation? I must have read that wrong.

Check out White Labs Super High Gravity Yeast. Supposedly it can ferment up to 25% alc.

Oh nice!! yeah that exactly what i want to do except 2 points lower...Im also gonna culture duvel yeast and add it at bottling ..hows the color on your brew? i find it hard to get the golden yellow color.. always get a little darker gold

Only went in the bottle yesterday after 13 weeks in the fermenter. Sample tasted pretty good. Yes, it is a little darker than the original, but I don't care provided I get close on taste.

Why would you raise the temp to over 80 during fermentation? I must have read that wrong.

Check out White Labs Super High Gravity Yeast. Supposedly it can ferment up to 25% alc.

maybe not 80 but at least 75..I do it to keep the yeast chuggn along and i want to supress ester production in the beginning by producing more phenols and by raising the temp later on in fermentation i have more control over the ester profile and also helps make sure the beer fully attenuates before crashing

Only went in the bottle yesterday after 13 weeks in the fermenter. Sample tasted pretty good. Yes, it is a little darker than the original, but I don't care provided I get close on taste.

I hear that..good luck on that one..if the sample was good i can bet you are in good shape

Back