Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a guy who owns a small brewery, and they self distribute. A couple times, when they were able to take an account away from a distributer at a bar, the distributer would smear mayo inside the keg connection to my buddies kegs to make his beer taste rancid. That's how evil and vindictive the distributors are these days.

That's disgusting. That man deserves a solid punch in the mouth.

Ive managed corporate restaurants for over 10 years and not suprised by that. Those beer reps can be vicious to each other, Ive heard of stunts like the mayo thing or poking pinholes in draft lines ob tje night the competition is having a promo ( air gets in the line and its instant foam on tap!)

...BACK on topic.
Having people that try your beer say "yeah, it was crafty."
I know you have no understanding of how hard it was balancing Sorachi and Citra hops, and lemongrass...
I begrudgingly forgive you. *Whispers under-breath* (Last sample I give you.)

"Homebrew has estrogens in it, and makes guys grow breasts."

A guy on my hockey team said this last night, turning down the offer of my now infamous steam beer (made with real steam!).

He then slammed back a couple MGD's he brought over. Because, commercial beers, esp. BMC, are definitely cleaner than my simple grain-to-glass stuff.

B-complex def,but estrogen,no. The stupidity never seaces to amaze me. Like the guys at the store talkin about the miller triple hopped bit. "It's got more hops than that IPA you picked up. It's triple hopped!". Ohhh,the sweet agony of it all...:drunk:

A guy on my hockey team said this last night, turning down the offer of my now infamous steam beer (made with real steam!).

He then slammed back a couple MGD's he brought over. Because, commercial beers, esp. BMC, are definitely cleaner than my simple grain-to-glass stuff.

Wow! Wish you had of got more out of him on the subject :D

I love to hear a guy say "real men drink (BMC here)" when typically BMC's products are American Light Lagers (regardless of how difficult it is to actually brew this style well, it is unarguably a brewing accomplishment, so lets not have that discussion) but, If you look at the history of the style it was designed to be much lighter tasting, in order to appeal to women following the prohibition and going on through WWII when most of the country's men were at war... Not to take away from the style just funny for someone to argue those beverages make them a more manly man. I say Real men drink what THEY like and aren't busy questioning how it makes them look. haha wether it is american light lager or barley wine it's not a purse or other fashion statement it's a beer. If it tastes good drink it. Maybe you should enlighten him about the history behind his Man's drink? Unless he really actually believes homebrew somehow contains estrogen, in this case don't bother he is too dumb to ever understand so leave him ignorant haha, but I am assuming this was just a poor attempt at humor?

Are you a woman?

A) yes
B) no

If you answered

a) no I am not making fun of your purse or pink shirt
b) HAHAHAHA

Unless it isn't a purse it's a satchel (Indiana Jones had one) and your shirt isn't pink it's salmon?

I find a lot of humor in product reviews.
"No carbonation Review by ******
Rating 1 star out of 5
been in bottles for 8 weeks and no carbonation. I am 0 for 2 with the danstar dry yeast. (Posted on 4/26/11)"
Downgrades the product; perhaps because of the yeast. No thought that his process may have been lacking.

Another great review I have seen is one star for product quality because shipping was slow.

Be true to yourself SiriusStarr. Don't ever let them change you. Unless it's some sort of surgical procedure that is meant to change you; I guess you can let them do that.

I appreciate light lagers like Corona and even BMC for what they are.. even more so now that I brew.

Once, there was a group in college giving a presentation about Coors. I was talking to them before hand and one of the said "if you have a half-can of last night's Coors beer, just shake the can and the yeast will make it fizzy again"... do I even need to say anything else?

Also, I love Negra Modelo, especially with Cazuelon (beef, chicken, AND cohorizo.. mmmmm)

B-complex def,but estrogen,no. The stupidity never seaces to amaze me. Like the guys at the store talkin about the miller triple hopped bit. "It's got more hops than that IPA you picked up. It's triple hopped!". Ohhh,the sweet agony of it all...:drunk:

Exactly! The irony of it is that on top of the B-complex, which is great for men's health, the yeast from non-filtered homebrew is also chock full of selenium which is ALSO great for men's health. If that's not irony then count me amongst those who completely don't get the classical definition of the term...

So I go to brother's house for the holidays and he pulls out Arrogant Bastard from the fridge with a big grin. I now have a big grin because someone who does not drink craft beer finally presents me with one of my favorite beers. Yea!

I find out a few days later that he bought it as a joke thinking I would take offense with the name. This is the same person who buys me the awful Jones Soda Thanksgiving meal flavored gift pack each year.

Salmon is a fish, not a color. Therefore the shirt is pink.

I'm with Leadgolem on this one
how_men_and_women_see_colors.jpg

I'm with Leadgolem on this one
how_men_and_women_see_colors.jpg

See, this is funny, but I sadly cannot think this way.

In an earlier life, I built cabinets for a living. We did a LOT of plastic laminate work (aka Formica, a popular brand of laminate). Needless to say, there were tons of subtle color variations that we had to be very familiar with.

As a result, I forever see colors like a woman. My wife has teased me for years that, for instance, I know what puce is.

I'm going to see if I can get this guy to expand on his estrogens-in-homebrew theory a bit...I will report back, for the edification and entertainment of all.

I'm going to see if I can get this guy to expand on his estrogens-in-homebrew theory a bit...I will report back, for the edification and entertainment of all.

Well your friend is not exactly wrong.

Phytoestrogens are chemical compounds found in plants that are so similar to estrogen; from a molecular structure point of view; that they can have similar effects.

While they are present in beer, they are also in tons of other foods. Soy, oats, nuts, seeds...

One thing you can always count on in a forum: someone WILL inevitably come out with some incredibly skewed stretch of some fragment of fact to correct you... All the while ignoring the actual point of what you even said. Ex: some idiot told me "homebrew has estrogen, unlike his BMC"
Clears throat gets on soap box -well technically there is a plant form of something similar to estrogen in all beers that acts kind of like estrogen blah blah,

ohhhhh now I see. The guy who made the estrogen statement isn't just insecure and overly compensating, he is a closet genius clearly referring to phytoestrogens...

BorealBrewer said:

Can't wait till you ask him and you come back to tell us he gave you the breakdown of how phytoestrogens act on the molecular level

One thing you can always count on in a forum: someone WILL inevitably come out with some incredibly skewed stretch of some fragment of fact to correct you... All the while ignoring the actual point of what you even said. Ex: some idiot told me "homebrew has estrogen, unlike his BMC"
Clears throat gets on soap box -well technically there is a plant form if estrogen in all beers that's acts kind of like estrogen blah blah,

ohhhhh now I see. The guy who made the estrogen statement isn't just insecure and overly compensating, he is a closet genius clearly referring to phytoestrogens...

Ha!

Start the hormone pills first and see how you feel.

Apparently I already have. And I feel great after a few. :tank:

EDIT: Darn, Maurader beat me to it. Ah, HBT. The only place online I can learn to make great beer whilst getting sound medical advice on transgender issues.

SiriusStarr said:
Ah, HBT. The only place online I can learn to make great beer whilst getting sound medical advice on transgender issues.

By far, one of the best quotes I've seen on here yet. Haha

Back