R2, H56 Partial mash Clone recipe critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rumham

Reaction score
I have very little experience with making my own recipes. I kind of winged my last IPA, and it turned out OK, but not great. I recently tried this beer and loved it; I have some simcoe handy, so I thought I'd do my best to replicate it. I know I am in the ballpark for OG and IBUs, as well as the percentage of Crystal. Any advice is appreciated (esp. w/ the grain bill). Thanks in advance!

% lbs oz fermentable

23% 2 0 Pilsner Malt
23% 2 0 Pilsner DME (late addition)
23% 2 0 Marris Otter (Crisp)
15% 1 6 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
11% 1 0 Pilsner DME
6% 0 8 Acid Malt

time oz variety form aa%

boil 90 mins 0.5 Simcoe leaf 11.2
boil 30 mins 0.75 Simcoe leaf 11.2
boil 0 min 1.0 Simcoe leaf 11.2
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Simcoe leaf 11.2

White Labs Cali Ale Yeast

Est. OG: 1.056
Est. FG: 1.014
Est. IBU: 44.6

I was thinking I'd mash at around 154.

Lack of replies may have to do w/ a strange recipe + unfamiliar beer. That's my problem, at least. Never seen an IPA recipe that's mostly pilsner malt. So it may be that in unfamiliar territory the best you can do is experiment. FWIW, I do 2.5 gal test batches in order to minimize expense in case it turns out merely OK.

In terms of general approach, it looks like you're in good shape. I like the late DME for lighter color. Personally I'd push the 30 min hop to 15-20, but that's just my style.

Thanks for the response. Row 2 Hill 56 is a strong pale ale from Russian River. I got some general guidelines on the recipe from Vinnie Cilurzo after inquiring via email, so I know the hops schedule is in line with theirs. I'm really just unsure about the amount of marris otter vs pilsner.

Nice! How cool that Vinnie shared the info with you. I'm jealous... on the wrong coast to get Russian River.

Good luck! If you decide to go for it, I hope you'll post back here with your results. I'd love to make an RR beer since I can't get the real thing!

Can't offer any personal advise on the recipe due to my lack of recipe generation but I will be meeting with some others that have more experience with creating recipes. I'll be sure to share my growler of r2, h56 and see if they can offer some advise. Great beer by the way.

this relatively unknown beer is one of the best beers i've ever had, there is very little information on the various homebrew forums about brewing this and i was also thinking of emailing RR to ask for some information on the grain bill. i doubt i'll be able to replicate the absolutely incredible simcoe flavor but i will give it a try.

Great beer...just had it over the weekend! Any updates? How sure are you that there is Pilsner and M.O. in this recipe? Thanks.

You're high on your % of Crystal, it should be around 8% of less and there is no acid malt used (at least not in all grain). Hop schedule is indeed 90/30/0.

Great beer...just had it over the weekend! Any updates? How sure are you that there is Pilsner and M.O. in this recipe? Thanks.

I've posted an AG recipe I've brewed multiple times, with direct guidance from Vinnie. Base malts are indeed a Pils and M.O. with a 70/30 split.

Thanks for the assistance Jukas! Hopping seems a little light compared to what I usually brew, but with Simcoe in short supply...that's a good thing. I definately have enough to brew this one. I'm usually at 6-10oz per batch (mostly late & dry), but that why I was drinking Pliny, while everyone else at my table was drinking this stuff and it was really drinkable.

Thanks for the assistance Jukas! Hopping seems a little light compared to what I usually brew, but with Simcoe in short supply...that's a good thing. I definately have enough to brew this one. I'm usually at 6-10oz per batch (mostly late & dry), but that why I was drinking Pliny, while everyone else at my table was drinking this stuff and it was really drinkable.

Real R2H56 comes in right about 40 IBU, though I've made it up to 44 IBU. While I cannot match the subtleties RR achieves by using simcoe from three different farms, this is really one of my favorite beers.

FHB still has 2012 simcoe lbs in stock for 20 bucks each. I've already ordered 3lb this year and am tempted to snag another lb or two. :drunk:

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=534

Jukas:
I was interested in your notes to this recipe where you said you keg after primary fermentation is complete and dry hop in the keg. So as I understand it, you basically secondary and condition in the keg under pressure and chilled to 40 degrees? Is that correct? Do you pull the dry hops out at some point, or just leave in there while you are serving? I was under the impression that beer needed a few more weeks after primary fermentation was complete to be "finished" and ready to chill and keg, but I would like to try your method if I am understanding it correctly. Thanks.
-Mike

Been MIA for a while, but I did brew this recipe and I thought it turned out awesome. It did not replicate the real deal (most likely due to hop sourcing as well as general skill as a brewer), but it was my best to date for sure. Tons of great hop flavor and aroma with loads of citrus. As for the acid malt previously mentioned, I included that as per my communication with Vinnie.

Back