Adding vanilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
This past Saturday I brewed my first chocolate milk stout. I'm considering adding vanilla to secondary or bottling bucket. I'm thinking real beans to secondary for 2 weeks or just some extract to bottling bucket. Which is your preferred method and any tips? Thank you.

I have some beans i haven't used yet, was planning on splitting them soaking in bourbon for two weeks before adding to secondary.

I've used extract in the past, about 2-4 tbsp in secondary left it for about 10 days, for a 5 gallon Stout.

This topic has been covered extensively here. Just search for 'vanilla beans' and you will find tons of info re: your question.

Extract is nice because it's consistent and measurable. Just make sure it's pure vanilla extract, none of that vanillin stuff.

I like to add before bottling - you can always add more during bottling if you want.

Add split and scraped beans after fermentation has finished and let it age until it has what you want for flavor profile. IF you're going to use extract use VERY LITTLE since it can easily overpower. I would go one step further and only use extract that you actually make yourself (I have a pint in process right now).

I was really wanting to add real beans anyways. So I'll probably do that. Should I soak them in alcohol first or since there is alcohol present will I be fine?

I was really wanting to add real beans anyways. So I'll probably do that. Should I soak them in alcohol first or since there is alcohol present will I be fine?

If you want... I would use the cleanest vodka you can get your hands on. You want zero flavor addition (unless you want some) from the sanitizing alcohol. You also don't want to mess up the ABV in the brew by using too much other alcohol. I would give them a quick soak/dunk if you really want to. I used bourbon in my first bean addition to a brew. I poured everything into the brew, so that I lost nothing. If I was to do it again (or when I do) I'll use far less alcohol. OR, I'll just use some of the extract I'm making. :rockin:

I did one and added 2 beans without any soaking or sterilization . It was in secondary so the alcool prevented the infection

Cut em long ways scrape and add the whole beans to carboy. I gave the beans and the knife a quick dunk in starsan and sprayed the cutting board too. Though next time I'll probably get a real small amount of vodka to add them to. This way after cutting and scraping the beans I can add them + vodka to a bottle and shake them up really well get all the little beans(the part with the strongest flavor) out of the pod better.

The vodka ideas are great. I'll add a couple beans that'll hopefully do it.

I'm using Skyy vodka to make my own extract. It's been in process for over two months now and will be bottled up after 6 months total. I'll probably toss some split and scraped beans/pods into my mocha madness II mead (21% :rockin:) at some point... I don't intend to soak those in anything else, other than the mead... At 42 proof, I think it will be strong enough to kill any hitchhikers.. :D

Back