Do I really need a GFCI if..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorg

Reaction score
I have a GFCI on my powerboard at the front of the house for the whole house, how do I benefit from having another one next to my brewing equipment, as some people recommend?
Is it a scientific, or sub-rational "another wouldn't hurt" thing?

You need a GFCI somewhere on the line. It could be in the form of the breaker in your box or the outlet where you plug in to or anywhere in between as long as the line you are getting you power from is GFCI protected.

I'm guessing a whole house GFCI trips at a much higher stray current that a good individual breaker/outlet/etc. Otherwise the nuisance tripping might be too much with the variety of loads. Also, how often do you test it? They need regular testing.

So uh, one thing trips the GFCI and you lose power to the entire house? That sounds bizarre, but I'm guessing it'd take a lot more to trip that than a GFCI outlet or breaker, out of obvious necessity, and as a result not conferring the same level of protection.

These things are inexpensive enough that I don't think it's worth taking on even the tiniest bit of extra risk to save that money, especially considering what's at risk.

Are you positive its not a circut breaker instead of a GFCI?

I have a GFCI on my powerboard at the front of the house for the whole house, how do I benefit from having another one next to my brewing equipment, as some people recommend?
Is it a scientific, or sub-rational "another wouldn't hurt" thing?

I suspect what you've got is a whole-house surge suppressor at the panel - not GFCI.

regardless, a gfci on your outlet is a lot closer walk than to your panel. oh, and +1 to Maxkling and jkarp.

Back