CRAP!!!, Forgot to get grain crushed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutMan

Reaction score
Mash water is heating and everything else is ready to go, now I realize I have forgotten to have morebeer mill my grain. Recipe is a PM, with 4 lbs of 2 row and 1 lb of crystal. What can I do now. Use a rolling pin???????

yeah ive heard of people using a rolling pin before but you only want to crack the grains open and keep the husk as a filter

Got a coffee grinder? Food processor? Neither will do a great job, but both will beat the heck out of trying to manually crush it with a rolling pin. Do small amounts at a time and pulse quickly until it appears that you have broken most of the husks.

Yep, rolling pin is not workin worth a darn. Guess I'll run to town and buy SWMBO a food processor as an early mothers day gift...We'll see how that works....Thanks

Food proccessor is not real good either, but my meat grinder is doing the job. The crush is considerably finer than I would like to see and the hulls are not holding together very well. Should I use a grainbag in the mash tun as well as the stainless mesh filter to avoid stuck sparge???

If your crush is that fine, a grain bag may be good.

If you're using a manifold in your MT, try slipping a paint strainer bag oveer it and you'll have no problems with a stuck sparge.

Manifold_Filtered.jpg

Regarding Bier Muncher's link:
[/ame]
Gatorade, as long as uummm it doesn't have any ummmm preservatives in it, ummmm, cuz, aaahm, they kill stuff....

I couldn't watch the whole thing, but he had some fantastic concepts regarding the bread yeast flavor.

One thing I did notice, to his credit --- He brews in his white T, you-tubes in his white T, mixes sugar water with yeast in his white T....

Last edited by a moderator:
Im using the stainless braided line for a "manifold" like this one. I went ahead and used a grain bag too, and upped my mash water volume by 10%. Hopfully this will prevent a stuck sparge. I also knocked by hydrometer off of the counter, so I will have no idea as to efficiency or OG. What do you guy's think I can expect for efficiency from a crush that is 50% too course and 50% too fine?? Thanks again for all of the help, this has been one of those days.

MLT.jpg

Back