Favorite RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMalty

Reaction score
I've always liked a good RIS, but it's been few and far between for various reasons. Recently, i was at my local beer store and asked for their recommendation. I was very promptly handed Old Rasputin and told it was the best. I'll have to say, it is pretty damn good.

What is your favorite RIS?

My favorite is Smuttynose RIS - it's a beautiful conglomeration of roasty, toasty, tasty, and hoppy - all in very generous, in fact willfully aggressive proportions.

My favorite is Smuttynose RIS - it's a beautiful conglomeration of roasty, toasty, tasty, and hoppy - all in very generous, in fact willfully aggressive proportions.

i've heard that one was very good, thats what i'm getting next time.

I haven't tried many, but I REALLY liked Left Hand Brewery's Wake Up Dead RIS. Apparently, this is also available in a limited barrel aged variation, which I have not had.

DORIS The Destroyer Double RIS from Hoppin Frog out of Akron, OH would have to be my favorite. Great Lakes Barrel Aged Blackout Stout is another great one.

I've been getting into Belgian Imperial Stouts lately. Weyerbacher makes a good one called Tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Flying Dog Gonzo is an excellent RIS and the price is right. I can buy it $8.99 a four pack. I like it a little bit more than Old Rasputin but it is a toss up.

Dogfish Palo Santo to me is basically a RIS although a little un-orthodox. Thats probably one of the most interesting beers I've ever had.

Almost forgot...The 2 I have on my wish list based on the hype that I've never had are The Abyss from Deschutes & Dark Lord from 3 Floyds.

slawre5 said:
Flying Dog Gonzo is an excellent RIS and the price is right. I can buy it $8.99 a four pack. I like it a little bit more than Old Rasputin but it is a toss up.

Dogfish Palo Santo to me is basically a RIS although a little un-orthodox. Thats probably one of the most interesting beers I've ever had.

+1 on the Flying Dog Gonzo...One of my local breweries got a keg of bourbon barrel aged Gonzo & it was one of the best beers I ever had (but I think they classify it as an imperial porter...close enough to an RIS though IMO)! Cost me $9 for a snifter.

I just had one called Czar Jack from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewing a couple of days ago that was pretty darn tasty. I'd say it's up there near the top of my list.

Apart from that I really like Hitatchino Nest Espresso Stout, Beer Geek Breakfast from Mikkeller and Speedway Stout from Alesmith. Stone IRS is also good.

My favorite so far is Stone's RIS. I know I am in the minority on this but I did not like the Old Rasputin at all. Flying Dogs Gonzo is very tasty. I'd love to try Ivan the Terrible but havent had a chance yet.

i don't know if it has earned it's "R" or not, but I like Oskar Blue's Ten Fidy the best so far.

whoa whoa whoa, i was with you on the Gonzo, but i have to interject. Palo Santo is definitely not a RIS at all. It's a strong brown ale. And i'll have to agree that it is an AMAZING brew......just can't consider it a RIS

I had Abyss on tap a couple of weeks back and it was awesome enough that I bought a bottle to age for a year. To be fair the only other RIS I have had recently are BORIS and Rasputin both in the bottle, good but not at the level of Abyss.

It has to be The Abyss for me. Awesome beer. For a more everyday RIS, Widmer's seasonal out right now is called KGB, and it's an RIS. I've drank about 3 cases of that since it came out a couple months back.

Just had the Thristy Dog RIS. I love everything about it.....but just not as much as the old rasputin

Not even a shout out to one of the finest the world over, Speedway Stout from Alesmith? I'd even, albeit a bit more reluctantly, throw Sea Monster from Ballast Point into the conversation.

Not even a shout out to one of the finest the world over, Speedway Stout from Alesmith? I'd even, albeit a bit more reluctantly, throw Sea Monster from Ballast Point into the conversation.

Problem with those is they don't make it far out of San Diego! Both great beers though.

Best IRS's I've had:

Stone Imperial Russian
Surly Darkness

I haven't ticked off a lot of the "rare" guys like Black Tuesday or Dark Lord, although I did have The Abyss (which got a MEH from me....hopefully a year does it right).

Also not a huge fan of Old Rasputin.

Old Rasp. is always good. Some years Stone, but others not.

I tend to just drink my own. I currently have a standard RIS, one aged with juniper, another with vanilla and juniper, another with Raspberries and another with espresso.

They are based off of two different base recipes. Probably my favorite style.

I really like Old Rasputin. I have not had many others. I have some Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout, but I don't really care for it. I like the 10% part of it, but it has that English "tang" to it. I think I have become partial to the American yeast and the Belgian yeast ove the past couple of years.

lagunitas bourbon barrel aged RIS, had it on tap during SF Beer Week, freakin amazing.

haven't had the ballast point sea monster but victory at sea is a damn good imperial porter.

RIS' are just so big and heavy.......maybe you can't go wrong with any of them. I seem to like all of them

Great Lakes Barrel Aged Blackout Stout is awsome. I like it better then Old Rasputin.

I was looking at Great Lakes at Famous Liquor, but they didn't have the stout. A bunch of others I haven't tried.

Back