dry hop without a bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fillmoreslim

Reaction score
I've read a lot of people seem to throw the pellet hops right into the carboy, but I'm not sure if I need to strain the wort when racking into my bottling bucket. If I do need to strain the wort, what is the best way?

you dont need to strain. once you add the pellets just prob the bucket up on a slight angle, like with a few books or something. All the pellets and sediment and yeast will all slowly fall tp the lowest section of the bucket, Then you just rack off the higher side when your ready.

I used a hop bag in the boil,& will use one to dry hop. It just seems like there'd be a lot less truby mess to stir up. The pellets dissolve back into the ground up state they were in when they were made into pellets,as I've seen. And not only that,it was wild to see that lil 1oz bit of pellets break down into a clod a bit bigger than a baseball.

the pliny clone I just bottled had a ton of hops both suspended and floating in the carboy, see pic. It was finished, but the pellet bits evidently create a surface for CO2 to grab on to and simply will not settle. I followed another suggestion on this great forum and simply took a large nylon grain bag, boiled it for 10 min to sanitize, then lined the inside of the bottling bucket with it. Since it is so large, there is no aeration/oxidation issues; rack to the bucket and it simply fills up. Once full, simply - slowly - lift the nylon bag out. It collects the bits and since it has such a large surface area does not get plugged up. Good Luck!!:mug:

dryhoppinh.jpg.jpg

just poured the first bottle last night, after one week conditioning/carbing in the bottle, surprised at how clear it was already. I used a whirlfloc tablet in the boil as well as the large bag at bottling.

plinyclonefirstpour.jpg

Back