Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is there to discuss? If you say anything even remotely critical of "the one" then the topic disappears.

What do you mean? No one else is doing anything peaceful!

hippie.jpg

This will be moved to the debate forum as soon as one of the mods wake up...lol... But... I'm just curious what the peace prize was actually given for... What has he really done as far as his job goes? What has he done to promote peace in the world. We're still in Iraq. We're obviously going to ramp up in Afganistan. Gitmo is still functioning. Besides 'promising' to stop two...and win the other (which his several weeks of waffling is upsetting not just the military)... what has he actually done to promote peace in the world? Please don't give me the rhetoric that he has 'lifted the worlds view of us after the mess Bush made...' I'm no fan of any politician...Bush, Obama, Dem, Rep, Ind....any of em, but I'm a man of actions...not just words...You don't give someone kudos just because they popular...........today.

What is there to discuss? If you say anything even remotely critical of "the one" then the topic disappears.

:rolleyes: Still on that, are you ?

From what I've read, he's being given the award for promoting peace between Muslims and the rest of the world. It must have been a slow year for the peace movement.

From what I've read, he's being given the award for promoting peace between Muslims and the rest of the world. It must have been a slow year for the peace movement.

Slow indeed. Nothing he's done in this regard has been worthy of the Nobel prize for Peace, IMO.

It's telling when CNN, MSNBC, ABC, and CBS morning news all say the same thing..

"This came out of left field and was totally unexpected."

CBS anchor even said "When it popped up on my computer screen I though it was spam."

It will be interesting to see how his handlers attempt to use this to leverage their agenda..

The nomination for the Peace Prize had to be in by Feb 1, 2 weeks after he got into office. So he was nominated before he did anything at all. I guess it was just expected that he would do something worthy of the nomination after the fact.

I wonder who else was on the nomination list. Some poor person has probably worked their whole life towards something like this, and lost to Obama :(

To quote Ricky Waters: “For who? For What?”

Teddy Roosevelt won the Peace Prize for stopping a war. Carter won the Peace Prize for a lifetime of work. Obama wins the Peace prize for breathing.

I heard he is being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame too. Not sure about that one either. ;)

Supposedly people on the committee were asked, and answered that sometimes they award the prize in the hopes that it will elevate the person to achieve what they have promised. Award it before they do what they say they are going to do, to give them more credibility and a better chance at achieving it.

Whatever that means.

The nomination for the Peace Prize had to be in by Feb 1, 2 weeks after he got into office. So he was nominated before he did anything at all. I guess it was just expected that he would do something worthy of the nomination after the fact.

I wonder who else was on the nomination list. Some poor person has probably worked their whole life towards something like this, and lost to Obama :(

This deserves to be re-posted with corroborating evidence...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j1_QF_M_HvZAOpRa9UGcm5CbA-1gD9B7HDR80

Myth: Candidates can be nominated until the last minute.

The nomination deadline is eight months before the announcement, with a strictly enforced deadline of Feb. 1.

So he had been in office for 10 full days before the deadline. Those must have been some elevating and enlightening campaign speeches for the committee.

They should have nominated his speechwriter instead.

I'm not anti-Obama, but this award makes absolutely no sense to me. I thought it was a joke. I actually had to go to several sources corroborating the story just to convince myself it was actually true.

I'm a huge, HUGE Obama supporter but this even made me go "huh?".

Maybe removing Bush from office was promoting peace enough to win the price. :D (ok, now it really will get moved to the debate forum hehehe)

I think it's a terrible faux pas. It looks to me like the Nobel committee are trying to give him a helping hand to accomplish whatever they think his agenda might be. If that is true, then it is a degrading politically motivated abuse of a once prestigious award.

Edit: I had missed The Pol's post before I posted, but yeah, this:-
Supposedly people on the committee were asked, and answered that sometimes they award the prize in the hopes that it will elevate the person to achieve what they have promised. Award it before they do what they say they are going to do, to give them more credibility and a better chance at achieving it.

Whatever that means.

And that is just the wrong way to use the Peace Prize IMO

How can BO win the NPP when we(they) attack the moon,whom we've been at peace with for years, totally unprovoked?

Obama has talked alot of talk, and if he follows up on his promises THEN I could see a nomination for this award. But to give it to him based on his promises and the fact that he's the first pres. in a long time people were excited about is ludicrus (sp?).

Its fine to say he doesn't deserve it, but its a little weird when people talk of giving him the prize is somehow a fall from grace. I mean, do you really think Obama has done less to create peace in the world than the IPCC? Do you even know what the IPCC is? I hardly think a panel on climate control really did create peace (although they did a decent job of promoting environmental issues).

The winner for a Nobel prize for anything is just whoever the committee choses, its not some super scientific process. Just a bunch of people in a room who can give out each prize as they see fit. They clearly saw Obama fit.

There were 205 nominees this year. The IPCC didn't win, Obama did. I'm pretty positive that out of the remaining 203, you could pick out another 100 that don't deserve it either and plenty more that an argument could be made FOR earning the peace prize.

Yes, they can pick whoever they want. But the argument here is, the peace prize is well respected award that can have a positive effect on the winners political, business or social standing in this world. It should be awarded with the highest of considerations and not be a popularity vote. When treated like that it artifically impacts the standing of others in this world and degrades the award to the level of the Teen Coice Awards.

I mean OMG Obama is such a hottie! He totally deserves Nobel. Whatev!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back