American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id like to brew this up in the next few days, but the only yeast I have on hand is WL001, 002 and 004. I am suspecting that 002 would be the best match?

Oh, and I have a WL San Diego Super Yeast as well. What do you guys think would be the best based off the yeast I have in inventory?

Id like to brew this up in the next few days, but the only yeast I have on hand is WL001, 002 and 004. I am suspecting that 002 would be the best match?

Oh, and I have a WL San Diego Super Yeast as well. What do you guys think would be the best based off the yeast I have in inventory?

wpl001 might give you a little more hops presence based on what ive seen it do.

arborman said:

002 is the same as 1968 I think...I would use it

skeezerpleezer said:
002 is the same as 1968 I think...I would use it

Awesome, that's the plan then.

On another note, has anyone tried a hop stand with this recipe? I'm thinking of scrapping some of the earlier additions and doing a whirlpool hop stand at 180. I'd be interested in hearing a schedule that anyone's done with this.... I guess my only concern would be I'd over do the citra by doing a hop stand?

I just used white labs 002 in my batch. Came out great. Everyone who try's it thinks its great. Only complaint is its a little more cloudy then I had wanted, but it's only an appearance thing. I will definitely be making it again soon using wyeast to see if there is a significant difference.

rcs226 said:
I just used white labs 002 in my batch. Came out great. Everyone who try's it thinks its great. Only complaint is its a little more cloudy then I had wanted, but it's only an appearance thing. I will definitely be making it again soon using wyeast to see if there is a significant difference.

That surprises me that it was really cloudy. I thought 002 was supposed to really clear the beer well since its so flocculant.

At any rate, glad to hear yours came out great!

Surprised me too. I typically do not have problems with clarity. It was my first time using 002.

Can this recipe be done in a 5 gallon igloo cooler mash tun? Home Depot only had the fives in stock. I'm putting one together for my first go at all grain. Would I be better off getting the ten gallon and using the 5 for a hlt? I was planning on doing that later anyway but didn't feel like waiting on the larger cooler to get started.

Can this recipe be done in a 5 gallon igloo cooler mash tun? Home Depot only had the fives in stock. I'm putting one together for my first go at all grain. Would I be better off getting the ten gallon and using the 5 for a hlt? I was planning on doing that later anyway but didn't feel like waiting on the larger cooler to get started.
A 5-gallon MLT won't be big enough for this malt bill, even mashing thick at 1.25 qt/lb and without accounting for dead space. If you're really itchin' to use the 5 and get started you'd better scale the recipe down by a gallon or so.

The calculator at http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml is invaluable for this kind of thing!

So I decided to try this after 1 week of bottle conditioning and 1 day of being in the fridge. The taste is good, possibly too bitter. I don't sense much malt taste, mainly hop bitterness that lingers for a bit. My citra hops were 13.5% instead of 12.4% and BeerSmith put my IBUs at 98. Just figured I'd try it and adjust my hops as necessary if I brew this again. The aroma is pretty in your face but it's awesome. I'll definitely be brewing this again, all grain this time instead of PM and with my hop amounts adjusted.

ZD clone.jpg

Brewing this on the 4th. My lhbs didn't have Wyeast 1968 instead I got WLP013 so I'm not sure what to expect. First time using whole flower hops as well since they didn't have citra in pellets.

From michigan to iowa for weekend.. Thought it would be a great idea to stop.. Last batch bottled and ready to sell on saturday 6/15 and sold out yesterday.. But lucked out the party store had a case left! Now i can compare!

That makes me tear up a little...

I got the Igloo 10 gallon from walmart.com for $50 shipped and it was at my door in 2 days. So far, so good.

Thanks for the info. Depot got more of the 10's in so I'm ready to go. Now I just have to find some citra.

A little confused on the IBU on this one... I am inputing my hops as laid out here, and the AA on my hops is the same as listed, but I am getting an IBU of 75. Is this due to the FWH? Should I be tweaking the hops to hit 60, or just roll with how Ive got it, realizing the FWH will be less bitter?

A little confused on the IBU on this one... I am inputing my hops as laid out here, and the AA on my hops is the same as listed, but I am getting an IBU of 75. Is this due to the FWH? Should I be tweaking the hops to hit 60, or just roll with how Ive got it, realizing the FWH will be less bitter?

Do you use BeerSmith? What I do for FWH is add it as a 20 minute addition to get the IBU calculation correct and then make a note to FWH...that should get you in the ballpark.

stonebrewer said:
Do you use BeerSmith? What I do for FWH is add it as a 20 minute addition to get the IBU calculation correct and then make a note to FWH...that should get you in the ballpark.

Ah, got it... I thought that may have had something to do with it. Thank you!

rcs226 said:

While 002 is known for producing super clear beer, every dry hopped beer I make with it comes out really hazy. I was recently told this is because of adding hops after the yeast has flocc'd and dropped. Makes sense to me.

Here is the extract/PM conversion:

Batch Size: 5g
Boil Volume: 3g

6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 70.6 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
SafAle English Ale (S-04)
or
Wyeast 1968

Couple of noob questions, as this will be my second batch of brew...

1. Are all of the grains steeped? How long, 30 mins?
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %

2. Is the FWH added when the steeping grains are removed?

I think that's all the questions i have. Thanks in advanced.

You can make this recipe *fairly* close with extract and steeping grains by removing the Munich malt and steeping the Carafoam, Caramel 60, and Melanoiden malt.

Add maybe 1/4 to 1/2 pound of extract to make up for the lack of Munich. Keep OG the same.

~Adam

Wait...you don't steep the Munich, or did you post this if you cannot get Munich?

A 5-gallon MLT won't be big enough for this malt bill, even mashing thick at 1.25 qt/lb and without accounting for dead space. If you're really itchin' to use the 5 and get started you'd better scale the recipe down by a gallon or so.

The calculator at http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml is invaluable for this kind of thing!

This is 100% the truth but you can always substitute extract for the missing grain. I've done that with a few beers until I can get my hands on a 10 gal tun.

Just wanted to say thanks for this recipe...came out really great...probably one of my best yet!

Thought I'd share a photo of the results...bottle conditioned for about three weeks.

Cheers!

T

image-1690330533.jpg

I just made this yesterday, did a 6 gallon batch. I used white labs 02. The amount of trub in the bottom of my fermentor is staggering! Looks like I'm going to loose quite a bit of beer on this one, unless my yeast can compact that bed a bit. Not sure why I've got such a large amount of gunk at the bottom...... Most of any beer I've done recently. Anyone else find that this happened?

I just made this yesterday, did a 6 gallon batch. I used white labs 02. The amount of trub in the bottom of my fermentor is staggering! Looks like I'm going to loose quite a bit of beer on this one, unless my yeast can compact that bed a bit. Not sure why I've got such a large amount of gunk at the bottom...... Most of any beer I've done recently. Anyone else find that this happened?

I had a layer of trub up to about the half gallon mark. If you didn't use a hop bag or strain before adding to the fermenter, I would imagine the 5oz of hops would contribute to more trub

Wait...you don't steep the Munich, or did you post this if you cannot get Munich?

Munich should be mashed, as the starch is not converted like crystal malts. Technicially Melanoidin malt should be mashed too.

You can easily make change from steeping to mash with a small kitchen pot on your stove and a thermometer:

- Use 5 cups of water for every 1 pound of grain.
- Heat water to approx 160-165F (no hotter)
- Crush grains and put them in a muslin or nylon mesh bag
- Mix grain bag into the water, making sure to break up grain clumps in bag.
- Cover pot and let grain rest for 30 minutes in hot water.
- Add VERY LOW heat at 15 minutes, be careful not to burn muslin bag to pot. Temp should be no colder than 145F, no hotter than 160F. Do not add heat if you want to keep it simple to start.
- After 30 minutes, remove grain bag, let drip dry. Do not squeeze.
- Pour this new wort into your main boil kettle, add water and extract to complete the brew.

I hope this helps!
~Adam

This weekend I will keg my batch. It's been done for quote a while but had to invite some friends over to help polish off some beer to make room in the kegs. Can't wait to try it. I'm going to try a rapid carbonation with a small diffusion stone.

TD

Munich should be mashed, as the starch is not converted like crystal malts. Technicially Melanoidin malt should be mashed too.

You can easily make change from steeping to mash with a small kitchen pot on your stove and a thermometer:

- Use 5 cups of water for every 1 pound of grain.
- Heat water to approx 160-165F (no hotter)
- Crush grains and put them in a muslin or nylon mesh bag
- Mix grain bag into the water, making sure to break up grain clumps in bag.
- Cover pot and let grain rest for 30 minutes in hot water.
- Add VERY LOW heat at 15 minutes, be careful not to burn muslin bag to pot. Temp should be no colder than 145F, no hotter than 160F. Do not add heat if you want to keep it simple to start.
- After 30 minutes, remove grain bag, let drip dry. Do not squeeze.
- Pour this new wort into your main boil kettle, add water and extract to complete the brew.

I hope this helps!
~Adam

Thanks for the feedback, but I just decided to pop my All Grain cherry with this recipe. Going to brew it a week from tomorrow.

Has everyone done a secondary on this? I hardly ever secondary anymore, so I'm curious as to why lots of you are deciding to secondary this one.....

Usually when I secondary it is because I plan to harvest the yeast.

On that note, I just finished dry-hopping (in the keg) my latest version using Pearl Malt as the base and Conan yeast. It is freaking delicious.

Usually when I secondary it is because I plan to harvest the yeast.

On that note, I just finished dry-hopping (in the keg) my latest version using Pearl Malt as the base and Conan yeast. It is freaking delicious.

Sounds like a Heady Topper-inspired Zombie Dust :) I have two bottles of YG001 in my fridge. Maybe I should give this one a try.

I just did my dry hop on this one tonight... and took a gravity sample. Came in quite low, and hit 1.010... Setting up to be about 7.5% ABV... Out of curiosity, will this lower gravity really alter it from what the beer was meant to be? I imagine its going to be much drier the the original.... Never had it, so I cannot compare. The gravity sample I had tasted really good though, so I am happy about that. I used 002, and I am surprised I hit that low of a gravity.

Oh, and I decided that I would just dry hop in the primary, and just threw in the hops. Was gonna dry hop in the keg, but opted for the easy way tonight

I just did my dry hop on this one tonight... and took a gravity sample. Came in quite low, and hit 1.010... Setting up to be about 7.5% ABV... Out of curiosity, will this lower gravity really alter it from what the beer was meant to be? I imagine its going to be much drier the the original.... Never had it, so I cannot compare. The gravity sample I had tasted really good though, so I am happy about that. I used 002, and I am surprised I hit that low of a gravity.

Oh, and I decided that I would just dry hop in the primary, and just threw in the hops. Was gonna dry hop in the keg, but opted for the easy way tonight

I hit 1.012 with my attempt, but I used 007 so I was expecting it. You must have over shot the OG a little, huh? I havent sampled min yet. I will probably give it a shot next weekend. I'll report back, but I've never had the original either

I brewed this as my first All-Grain batch and 2nd batch ever.

1.055 Preboil
1.062 OG

Took me about 2 hours to cool the wort.

Brewed this recipe up yesterday as my first all grain , scaled it down to a 3 gal batch , one question , more beer mash calculater said I needed 5.24 gallons for the grain , and since I didn't have my other pot to do a sparge I just heated up all 5.24 gallons and put that I. The mash tun . Any problem with this method I was planing to do Biab but I wanted to test out the new mash tun .

image-2884920013.jpg

Also I'm using my keezer as a make shift ferm chamber keeping it at 65 .

Oh well I made something !!

J

coinhall09 said:
Brewed this recipe up yesterday as my first all grain , scaled it down to a 3 gal batch , one question , more beer mash calculater said I needed 5.24 gallons for the grain , and since I didn't have my other pot to do a sparge I just heated up all 5.24 gallons and put that I. The mash tun . Any problem with this method I was planing to do Biab but I wanted to test out the new mash tun . Also I'm using my keezer as a make shift ferm chamber keeping it at 65 . Oh well I made something !! J

Sounds likes no sparge, which I really enjoy for sub 1.040 beers. Besides the efficiency hit, I actually prefer it!

Yeah next back ill have a extra pot to collect to wort so I can sparge. I stirred a good bit , I actually did add some more hot water after I drained to " try" to get the best efficiency and to account for boil off with my wide pot .

I am going to eat my words on this one. I bottled up a 6 pack and a couple of bombers with some carb tabs when I kegged this. I said earlier that I have come to the conclusion that Citra is just not the hop for me. Don't get me wrong, I finished the keg...So, this weekend I cracked a couple of bombers of this and wow, it has mellowed SIGNIFICANTLY and is a very good beer. Next time I do it, I think I will let it mellow out a month or two.

Back